Turn off Screen Transitions?

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

RoboMoogle

Turn off Screen Transitions?

Post by RoboMoogle »

I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to deactivate screen transitions? In re-playing some of the Sierra Classics it sometimes makes for a strange playthrough.

Thanks for the help!
m_kiewitz
ScummVM Developer

Post by m_kiewitz »

What's strange about them?

They should normally take a few hundred milliseconds at worst. I think there was an issue on some computers, where they took several seconds. That issue should be fixed in daily builds (and 1.8.0 as soon as it's released).

If they take several seconds for you, please download a daily (development) build from here: http://buildbot.scummvm.org/builds.html and try again.
RoboMoogle

Post by RoboMoogle »

Thanks for the reply!

It's been more noticeable with the Quest for Glory series. There's certain parts where the scene hasn't changed, but there's a transition sequence as things in the scene change (such as environment elements shifting). This ends up with the middle of the scene being interrupted by a transition.

Not a crazy problem but something that would be nice to turn off, at least for the QfG series.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

RoboMoogle wrote:Thanks for the reply!

It's been more noticeable with the Quest for Glory series. There's certain parts where the scene hasn't changed, but there's a transition sequence as things in the scene change (such as environment elements shifting). This ends up with the middle of the scene being interrupted by a transition.

Not a crazy problem but something that would be nice to turn off, at least for the QfG series.
Do you have a specific example, and a saved game where this occurs?
m_kiewitz
ScummVM Developer

Post by m_kiewitz »

RoboMoogle wrote:Thanks for the reply!

Which Quest for Glory game is it? And when does it happen?
And how long do the transitions take on your computer?
RoboMoogle

Post by RoboMoogle »

So far, it was most noticeable in Quest For Glory 2. Several instances (such as the Iblis's Tome) where something will happen, in the last case I recall where rocks are supposed to fall from the ceiling to block the door, and it used a screen wipe or pixelation mid-scene. And the transition takes maybe a second or two?

Truthfully it isn't a huge issue at all. It's doesn't break gameplay in any way, I just asked in the off-chance if it could be shut off to avoid moments like that where it might look better without them.
m_kiewitz
ScummVM Developer

Post by m_kiewitz »

RoboMoogle wrote:So far, it was most noticeable in Quest For Glory 2. Several instances (such as the Iblis's Tome) where something will happen, in the last case I recall where rocks are supposed to fall from the ceiling to block the door, and it used a screen wipe or pixelation mid-scene.
One would have to check with the original interpreter.

Sierra used transitions in such cases plenty of times, so that the changes are not that abrupt, but they are supposed to be very quick.

For example Quest for Glory 3 uses pixelation transitions when clicking on some menus right at the start.
And the transition takes maybe a second or two?
It shouldn't take that long (1 or 2 seconds), they should never take more than 1 second, normally not even more than half a second, please download the latest daily build and try again. I hope you have a saved game near that place.

On which platform are you playing? Windows 7? Linux? Windows 8? Windows XP?

Are you using OpenGL in some way?

You can start the daily build ScummVM with the parameter "--debugflags=Graphics". It will then show the amount of time a transition actually took.

EDIT: found that scene in qfg2, it's room 610. 7 transitions are triggered right after each other. On my notebook each takes around 350 milliseconds.

EDIT2: found the same scene in a Let's Play. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLAGn9h2hKM&t=125m5s

The rocks take around 6 seconds in ScummVM for me and it also takes around that in dos-box in the video.