Zork Nemesis

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

123eliao

Post by 123eliao »

eriktorbjorn wrote:The latest comment on the bug report digitall mentioned indicates that the Italian version works, and has a list of files. Maybe you could take a look at that and see if you got the layout of the files and folders right?
I found that I had the files out of their own folders: ZNEMMX e ZNEMSCR. I put them in, but it still not working.

eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

123eliao wrote: I found that I had the files out of their own folders: ZNEMMX e ZNEMSCR. I put them in, but it still not working.
In the list attached to the bug report, u000b51c.tga is in the GLOBAL folder inside the ZASSETS folder. That's not the case with your version, then?
123eliao

Post by 123eliao »

eriktorbjorn wrote:
123eliao wrote: I found that I had the files out of their own folders: ZNEMMX e ZNEMSCR. I put them in, but it still not working.
In the list attached to the bug report, u000b51c.tga is in the GLOBAL folder inside the ZASSETS folder. That's not the case with your version, then?
I do not understand what the problem is . Exactly the file u000b51c.tga is inside the GLOBAL folder .
What do I do?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

123eliao wrote: I do not understand what the problem is . Exactly the file u000b51c.tga is inside the GLOBAL folder .
What do I do?
I don't know if this will help, but here's how I think it works:

One of the first things that happens when the game starts is that it will look for a file called NEMESIS.ZIX or, if it can't find that, MEDIUM.ZIX. This file is the index that tells the game engine where the find the various data files. What the file looks like depends on the version of the game. Here is what mine looks like:

Code: Select all

0 e: zgi_dvd 'Zork Grand Inquisitor DVD
----------------------------
DIR: .
DIR: .\znemmx
DIR: .\znemscr
DIR: .\znemscr\gscr.zfs
DIR: .\znemscr\tscr.zfs
DIR: .\znemscr\mscr.zfs
DIR: .\znemscr\vscr.zfs
DIR: .\znemscr\ascr.zfs
DIR: .\znemscr\cscr.zfs
DIR: .\znemscr\escr.zfs
DIR: .\znemscr\cursor.zfs
CD0: znemesis\zassets\global
CD0: znemesis\zassets\global\venus
CD0: znemesis\zassets\temple
CD0: znemesis\disc2\zassets\conserv
CD0: znemesis\disc2\zassets\monast
CD0: znemesis\disc3\zassets\asylum
CD0: znemesis\disc3\zassets\castle
CD0: znemesis\disc3\zassets\endgame
----------------------------
1 deisl1.isu
1 deisl2.isu
1 nemesis.zix
...and so on, for several thousand lines. It tells where all of the data files are located. Originally, "DIR:" meant it was on your hard disk and "CD0", "CD1" or "CD2" that it was on a CD or DVD. Mine comes from a DVD version of Zork: Grand Inquisitor, which is why it only has one CD. However, ScummVM assumes that all files are on your hard disk, so it will treat for instance "CD0: znemesis\zassets\global" as if it said "DIR: .\zassets\global".

So let's assume that Zork Nemesis is in the folder C:\ScummVM Games\ZNemesis. This is just an example, so it doesn't have to be called that, of course.

The game asks for the file u000b51c.tga. In my MEDIUM.ZIX the entry for that file is "12 u000b51c.tga". The 12th entry in the list of folders at the start of MEDIUM.ZIX is "CD0: znemesis\zassets\global", but as I said before ScummVM treats that as if it said "DIR: .\zassets\global".

That means ScummVM will expect the file to be in the C:\ScummVM Games\ZNemesis\zassets\global folder. (It shouldn't matter if it's upper or lower case letters, as long as the path is otherwise correct.)

That's why it's so vitally important to get the file/folder layout right. Otherwise, ScummVM won't be able to find the files.
123eliao

Post by 123eliao »

I tried recompiling all folders , and now it works . I did not put the nemesis.zix file, but it works the same.
Thanks a lot to everybody for your help.
(some folders of zassets'folder were out of this, maybe this was the problem...)
Sorry for my inattention.
macacoco

Need some help !

Post by macacoco »

I followed the instructions step by step, copied in the game root directory the two folders and the file nemesis.str then the zassets folders from the three CDs. When I start ScummVM 1.7.0 and I try to add Zork Nemesis, ScummVM said he found no games in the selected directory.

My root folder I have the following:

- The document NEMESIS.STR
- The folder ZNEMMX
- The folder ZNEMSCR
- The foler ZASSETS

Is it correct ? Thanks for your help ! And thank you to ScummVM team. To be able to replay Full Throttle, The Dig or Lost in Time is a real pleasure.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Re: Need some help !

Post by md5 »

macacoco wrote:I followed the instructions step by step, copied in the game root directory the two folders and the file nemesis.str then the zassets folders from the three CDs. When I start ScummVM 1.7.0 and I try to add Zork Nemesis, ScummVM said he found no games in the selected directory.

My root folder I have the following:

- The document NEMESIS.STR
- The folder ZNEMMX
- The folder ZNEMSCR
- The foler ZASSETS

Is it correct ? Thanks for your help ! And thank you to ScummVM team. To be able to replay Full Throttle, The Dig or Lost in Time is a real pleasure.
You need the latest daily/unstable version of ScummVM to play Zork: Nemesis, not the older stable 1.7.0 version. Check our downloads version to obtain it:

http://www.scummvm.org/downloads/#daily
macacoco

Post by macacoco »

I just downloaded the Mac OS X (Intel) latest development buit (1.8.0) and I managed to add Zork Nemesis. A useful addition to properly play this game, you need to install the Liberation font in the game folder.

A big thank you md5 ! I'll finally be able to find the wonderful world of Zork!

Next step : playing Myst Riven on my Nexus 7 (2nd gen) :D
macacoco

Post by macacoco »

Bad news, Zork Nemesis crashed when I click on the new game button (MacOSX Yosemite 10.10.5).

Zork Grand Inquisitor works great. Also tested Grandma and me, works great too.

[Edit] try again Zork Nemesis, using only the ZASSETS folder of CD1, it works great, so I guess I made a mistake copying files from the other ZASSETS folders (CD2 and CD 3). Thanks again for support ScummVM team !
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

macacoco wrote:Bad news, Zork Nemesis crashed when I click on the new game button (MacOSX Yosemite 10.10.5).

Zork Grand Inquisitor works great. Also tested Grandma and me, works great too.

[Edit] try again Zork Nemesis, using only the ZASSETS folder of CD1, it works great, so I guess I made a mistake copying files from the other ZASSETS folders (CD2 and CD 3). Thanks again for support ScummVM team !
Glad it's working for you :)
Araneidae

Zork Nemesis from CDs produces a black screen

Post by Araneidae »

I've attempted to follow the instructions here, copying my ancient 3 CD install, but when I run the game up with scummvm I just get a black window.

First of all, I attach an md5 scan of my install. It's rather large, and I don't know the lifetime of the link, but here it is: http://sprunge.us/RedO . I find it fishy that all the files in znemmx (for example) are the same, but going back to the CD, yes, they're all just "aaa"!

Running `scummvm --version` reports:

ScummVM 1.7.0 (Jan  3 2015 16:57:09)
Features compiled in: TAINTED VorbisScummVM 1.7.0 (Jan  3 2015 16:57:09)
Features compiled in: TAINTED Vorbis FLAC ALSA SEQ TiMidity RGB zLib FluidSynth Theora FreeType2 JPEG PNG 
 FLAC ALSA SEQ TiMidity RGB zLib FluidSynth Theora FreeType2 JPEG PNG 
and when I run the game I get:

WARNING: SDL mixer output buffer size: 2048 differs from desired: 4096!
User picked target 'znemesis' (gameid 'zvision')...
  Looking for a plugin supporting this gameid... ZVision
  Starting 'ZVision Game'
WARNING: Script file not found: universe.scr!
WARNING: Script file not found: gary.scr!
TTF font file garabd.ttf was not found. Reverting to arial.ttf
TTF file could not be opened
Could not identify font: "Times. Reverting to Arial
TTF font file zorknorm.ttf was not found. Reverting to arial.ttf
TTF font file gara.ttf was not found. Reverting to arial.ttf
(I'm guessing the font problems are unrelated?)

I'd be grateful for any advice.[/code]
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Follow the instructions here
Araneidae

Post by Araneidae »

Raziel wrote:Follow the instructions here
I'm pretty sure I have followed all of the instructions, and this is where I started, but I found some of the details a trifle hard to interpret:

1. Download and install fonts in extras directory.

I had to create an extras directory, and add its path, the config file now has the entry

[scummvm]
extrapath=/home/michael/.scummvm/extras
and in ~/.scummvm/extras there is a subdirectory liberation-fonts-ttf-2.00.1

2. Unzip subtitles addon into game root directory

It's not clear to me whether the addon directory or its files go into the game root, but copying the files into the root makes no difference.

3. Copy all the CD files

I'm pretty sure I've done this, but perhaps some key file didn't copy correctly? That's why I attached a complete directory listing with checksums.

I'll repeat the CD copy, but as there are no error messages (and the font install clearly hasn't worked), I don't have much to go on.
Araneidae

Post by Araneidae »

Well, I dug about, and found a working image that works under dosbox (except, it crashes dosbox rather early on), and followed the instructions again ... and the only difference is in one file ./zassets/temple/wne3hptc.raw

Unfortunately, running with this version doesn't behave any differently.

Just in case it's the game being *very* slow to start (I noticed the dosbox version took a little while to kick in), I've left it running for a bit...

... no, that's long enough. Nothing.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Sorry, can't help any further, someone with a CD version has to chime in...using the GoG version here

btw, where did you find this
Well, I dug about, and found a working image that works under dosbox
image?