Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes - why not for this long time

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

kelmer

Post by kelmer »

Is what's been done so far publicly online somehow?
a.borque

Post by a.borque »

digitall wrote:a.borque: Slow is not quite the right English word here.

As far as I know based on his statements here, only sirlemonhead has got a copy of the original sources from the developer / rightsholder and he doesn't appear to have permission to share those with the rest of the team or a random GSoC student.

If he could secure a release for those as GPL-2, then the work of conversion, updating and refactoring them by a GSoC student would be possible.
Perhaps I got it wrong. So it is a legal issue then and sirlemonhead already has the code?!
I thought it was a problem with sirlemonheads contact being to busy in some way to recover the sources from nearly 25 years old media.

Perhaps sirlemonhead could join the discussion again to clarify?

PS: Which english word fits better? Perhaps something like difficult? The Duke-Nukem-comparison was already made... ;)
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

a.borque wrote:
digitall wrote:a.borque: Slow is not quite the right English word here.

As far as I know based on his statements here, only sirlemonhead has got a copy of the original sources from the developer / rightsholder and he doesn't appear to have permission to share those with the rest of the team or a random GSoC student.

If he could secure a release for those as GPL-2, then the work of conversion, updating and refactoring them by a GSoC student would be possible.
Perhaps I got it wrong. So it is a legal issue then and sirlemonhead already has the code?!
I thought it was a problem with sirlemonheads contact being to busy in some way to recover the sources from nearly 25 years old media.

Perhaps sirlemonhead could join the discussion again to clarify?

PS: Which english word fits better? Perhaps something like difficult? The Duke-Nukem-comparison was already made... ;)
OK, we realize you want to get this game supported. But trying to force people to do something which they do for free on their own free time is becoming annoying. If you believe that things are not moving as quickly as you would like, then you're free to talk with the original developers yourself. Or, you can start rewriting the engine from scratch. Or, have patience. Take your pick.
a.borque

Post by a.borque »

I never intended to put pressure on anyone or anything or get on someones nerves as I know this is not a commercial project, I guess reengineering is hard work and I know you all are spending your free time on it. My apologies if it sounded like that.
I am happy ScummVM is still alive and activly develpoed and I honor the work you and the others are doing. Thank you for that.

But yes, I (and presumably some ohters) would like to see Lost Files supported by ScummVM. Since sirlemonheads comments here looked very promising but vague I am asking here in this thread now and then for possible news. For me this was something different than starting new threads "Please support game xyz" again and again without any further basis.

As I said before I can not write C++ and as someone else said before only sirlemonhead seems to be in contact. So I will be patient...
a.borque

Post by a.borque »

kelmer wrote:Is what's been done so far publicly online somehow?
AFAIR there is at least one somewhat more technical thread somewhere which discusses aspects of the intro and changes from there to the game.
sirlemonhead

Post by sirlemonhead »

The reason much information isn't being posted is that I can't really go into detail on what's happening.

But we know where the source code is, we are getting it.. it's just a matter of when.
lazylazyjoe

Post by lazylazyjoe »

^thanks for your efforts.
a.borque

Post by a.borque »

@sirlemonhead:
Yes, a big "Thank you" from me, too.
Even though there are no news right now it is always good to hear things are still in progress. (This helps to be patient! ;) )
Nikioko

Post by Nikioko »

sirlemonhead wrote:The reason much information isn't being posted is that I can't really go into detail on what's happening.

But we know where the source code is, we are getting it.. it's just a matter of when.
Sounds a bit like the discovery of lost Doctor Who episodes. ;)
All we can do is wait, but waiting is some sort of strain. But the hope keeps one up.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Just a little heads-up, in case people missed it:

http://dm-notes.blogspot.gr/2015/05/hap ... doyle.html
a.borque

Post by a.borque »

md5 wrote:Just a little heads-up, in case people missed it:
Hello!
That's very good news indeed. Thanks for that link.
And Thank You very much to sirlemonhead, his source and all ScummVM-Developers for making this happen!
A.Borque
Btw: I nearly forgot DOS4GW was an important part of some DOS-based games back in the middle of the 1990s.
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

For those following the progress of the engine, I've posted a new progress report on my blog.
karsten

Post by karsten »

That's great! Two of my favorite adventure games. Thanks for the work so far and for keeping us updated.