ScummVM logo Forum Index - ScummVM website - Contact us - Buy Supported Games: GOG.com Rules - Search - Register - Login curved edge
Folder Forum Index > The Junkyard > Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes - why not for this long time Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes - why not for this long time
  Author    Thread Reply to topic
kelmer

Is what's been done so far publicly online somehow?

Post Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:24 pm 
a.borque

quote:
Originally posted by digitall
a.borque: Slow is not quite the right English word here.

As far as I know based on his statements here, only sirlemonhead has got a copy of the original sources from the developer / rightsholder and he doesn't appear to have permission to share those with the rest of the team or a random GSoC student.

If he could secure a release for those as GPL-2, then the work of conversion, updating and refactoring them by a GSoC student would be possible.

Perhaps I got it wrong. So it is a legal issue then and sirlemonhead already has the code?!
I thought it was a problem with sirlemonheads contact being to busy in some way to recover the sources from nearly 25 years old media.

Perhaps sirlemonhead could join the discussion again to clarify?

PS: Which english word fits better? Perhaps something like difficult? The Duke-Nukem-comparison was already made... Wink
Post Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:57 pm 
md5
ScummVM Developer

quote:
Originally posted by a.borque
quote:
Originally posted by digitall
a.borque: Slow is not quite the right English word here.

As far as I know based on his statements here, only sirlemonhead has got a copy of the original sources from the developer / rightsholder and he doesn't appear to have permission to share those with the rest of the team or a random GSoC student.

If he could secure a release for those as GPL-2, then the work of conversion, updating and refactoring them by a GSoC student would be possible.

Perhaps I got it wrong. So it is a legal issue then and sirlemonhead already has the code?!
I thought it was a problem with sirlemonheads contact being to busy in some way to recover the sources from nearly 25 years old media.

Perhaps sirlemonhead could join the discussion again to clarify?

PS: Which english word fits better? Perhaps something like difficult? The Duke-Nukem-comparison was already made... Wink

OK, we realize you want to get this game supported. But trying to force people to do something which they do for free on their own free time is becoming annoying. If you believe that things are not moving as quickly as you would like, then you're free to talk with the original developers yourself. Or, you can start rewriting the engine from scratch. Or, have patience. Take your pick.
Post Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:29 am 
a.borque

I never intended to put pressure on anyone or anything or get on someones nerves as I know this is not a commercial project, I guess reengineering is hard work and I know you all are spending your free time on it. My apologies if it sounded like that.
I am happy ScummVM is still alive and activly develpoed and I honor the work you and the others are doing. Thank you for that.

But yes, I (and presumably some ohters) would like to see Lost Files supported by ScummVM. Since sirlemonheads comments here looked very promising but vague I am asking here in this thread now and then for possible news. For me this was something different than starting new threads "Please support game xyz" again and again without any further basis.

As I said before I can not write C++ and as someone else said before only sirlemonhead seems to be in contact. So I will be patient...

Post Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:10 am 
a.borque

quote:
Originally posted by kelmer
Is what's been done so far publicly online somehow?

AFAIR there is at least one somewhat more technical thread somewhere which discusses aspects of the intro and changes from there to the game.
Post Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:15 am 
sirlemonhead

The reason much information isn't being posted is that I can't really go into detail on what's happening.

But we know where the source code is, we are getting it.. it's just a matter of when.

Post Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:49 pm 
lazylazyjoe

^thanks for your efforts.

Post Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:09 am 
a.borque

@sirlemonhead:
Yes, a big "Thank you" from me, too.
Even though there are no news right now it is always good to hear things are still in progress. (This helps to be patient! Wink )

Post Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:27 pm 
Nikioko

quote:
Originally posted by sirlemonhead
The reason much information isn't being posted is that I can't really go into detail on what's happening.

But we know where the source code is, we are getting it.. it's just a matter of when.

Sounds a bit like the discovery of lost Doctor Who episodes. Wink
All we can do is wait, but waiting is some sort of strain. But the hope keeps one up.
Post Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:34 pm 
md5
ScummVM Developer

Just a little heads-up, in case people missed it:

http://dm-notes.blogspot.gr/2015/05/happy-birthday-sir-arthur-conan-doyle.html

Post Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:21 pm 
a.borque

quote:
Originally posted by md5
Just a little heads-up, in case people missed it:

Hello!
That's very good news indeed. Thanks for that link.
And Thank You very much to sirlemonhead, his source and all ScummVM-Developers for making this happen!
A.Borque
Btw: I nearly forgot DOS4GW was an important part of some DOS-based games back in the middle of the 1990s.
Post Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:58 pm 
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

For those following the progress of the engine, I've posted a new progress report on my blog.

Post Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:13 am 
karsten

That's great! Two of my favorite adventure games. Thanks for the work so far and for keeping us updated.

Post Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:02 am 
Reply to topic