KQ1 with PCjr sound lacking volume envelopes

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

SirPrimalform

KQ1 with PCjr sound lacking volume envelopes

Post by SirPrimalform »

Apologies if this is a known issue or if I'm misunderstanding something, but it seems that ScummmVM's PCjr sound emulation for KQ1 (or at least the version GOG sells) doesn't support the 4 bit volume level control.

At least when playing the game in DOSBox with Tandy emulation, the notes have a volume envelope but in ScummVM all channels seem to play at full volume the entire time.

Is this perhaps some difference between the PCjr and the Tandy? I know the Tandy was aiming to be compatible with the PCjr, but were the volume envelopes an added feature?

Obviously there's not a lot of music in the game so it's not a big deal to me, but I'm curious as to why it's different. Actually, the square waves used in ScummVM's PCjr emulation are a lot scratchier sounding (aliasing?) than the DOSBox emulation. I'm not familiar with the original hardware though, it could well be more accurate.
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

I've noticed this as well. Just been using DOSBox instead. It happens to all AGI games. It's just the way that ScummVM currently generates the sound. It's not a per game or per song basis as far as I understand.
Last edited by MusicallyInspired on Mon May 04, 2015 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SirPrimalform

Post by SirPrimalform »

MusicallyInspired wrote:I've noticed this as well. Just been using DOSBox instead. It happens to all AGI games. It's just the way that ScummVM generates currently the sound. It's not a per game or per song basis as far as I understand.
Ah ok, yeah. Is it a known issue to the team or just known to you?
I wanted to use the mouse-walk support that ScummVM adds but I guess I'll just stick to DOSBox as well.
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

I don't know if they're aware. Best thing to do is enter a bug/feature request on their tracker I guess.
SirPrimalform

Post by SirPrimalform »

Will do, thanks!