Sanitarium Engine - All help is welcome

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

maximus

Post by maximus »

clone2727 wrote:
Mim wrote:it looks that completion is in sight. :)
You have a very strange definition of completion.
alexbevi wrote:there’s no way to retrieve/use items once collected
alexbevi wrote:Encounters load, but you can’t interact with keywords yet.
"completion" == "a couple commits closer to playable status" maybe?
Mim

Post by Mim »

maximus wrote:"completion" == "a couple commits closer to playable status" maybe?
I'm not developer but if I were one, I would most probably prefer definition "completion" = "playable game with my name in the ScummVM credit list". :wink:
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

Mim wrote:
maximus wrote:"completion" == "a couple commits closer to playable status" maybe?
I'm not developer ...
Evidently.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Longcat wrote:
Mim wrote:
I'm not developer ...
Evidently.
Nah, it's nice to have a good dose of optimism now and again :)
alexfont

Post by alexfont »

Wow, 6 years since we start the project that I completely forgot about this thread.

In past month I start to work a little bit on the engine. It's not much time invested, but the main focus was to get the game more playable with less crashes and I guess it's achieved.

At this point, even without inventory or proper encounter speech, we can finish the 1st Chapter. The game doesn't crash anymore in specific places and we can play with Max around all the scene and go to the next Chapter.

Lets see what progress we could do in the next months but for sure it's good we're not alone ;)
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Yeah...progress... :-)
killcake

Post by killcake »

I keep checking in on this thread from time to time, great news on the progress so far!
topolinik

Post by topolinik »

Bump up! :D
maximus

Post by maximus »

I haven't really had much to do with this lately for (insert excuses here), but based on the new direction the project took with including wip engines directly (as noted by Dreammaster in http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?p=83297#83297), would there be any benefit in getting this engine merged?

It's in good standing, but since I'm not working on it and neither are any of the previous contributors, would there be any benefit? I think we all hoped that someone would help get the last 20% finished, but as the years rolled by, this hasn't happened yet.

I like the idea of having this engine getting peer review and included in buildbot builds, but i'm guessing without active developers it would just rot in the main branch as it has been in my fork.

I'm open to suggestions though (unless they're "get back to work and finish the engine" ... cause I'd love to ... but ... reasons ...)
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

maximus wrote:I like the idea of having this engine getting peer review and included in buildbot builds, but i'm guessing without active developers it would just rot in the main branch as it has been in my fork.
That sounds like it would be the case. Without anyone even planning to eventually work on it, there seems little point in merging it into master. We've already got engines in it like Lastexpress, and it doesn't seem like their presence in master has been any boon to getting them completed. If someone can be found to work on it, then having it master would be helpful.
Strangerke
ScummVM Developer

Post by Strangerke »

Just for the record, could you list the main missing things? Is there a lot of hardcoded logic for example, or is it all about game mechanisms?
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Strangerke wrote:Just for the record, could you list the main missing things? Is there a lot of hardcoded logic for example, or is it all about game mechanisms?
oooh, strangerke is already onto the tracks :-D
maximus

Post by maximus »

Strangerke wrote:Just for the record, could you list the main missing things? Is there a lot of hardcoded logic for example, or is it all about game mechanisms?
Sorry for the delay; not sure why i don't get email updates from these forums anymore :/

To quickly summarize:

Graphics (90%; some flickering)
Movies (100%)
Opcodes (90%; more testing needed)
Pathfinding (80%; our version isn't great)
SFX (95%; needs more testing)
Ambient Music (95%; needs more testing)
Conversation System (20%; lots of work needed here)
Inventory System (5%; lots of work needed here)
Minigames (90%; needs more testing)
Script Engine (95%)
Event Handling (95%)

We also have a very well organized IDA db we've been working off of that could make this easier for anyone willing to jump in ;)

There wasn't any hardcoded logic; everything is handled via scripted events.
IndianaJones

Post by IndianaJones »

Hi everybody. Are there any recent developments regarding Sanitarium engine for ScummVM?
topolinik

Post by topolinik »

maximus wrote:To quickly summarize:

Graphics (90%; some flickering)
Movies (100%)
Opcodes (90%; more testing needed)
Pathfinding (80%; our version isn't great)
SFX (95%; needs more testing)
Ambient Music (95%; needs more testing)
Conversation System (20%; lots of work needed here)
Inventory System (5%; lots of work needed here)
Minigames (90%; needs more testing)
Script Engine (95%)
Event Handling (95%)

We also have a very well organized IDA db we've been working off of that could make this easier for anyone willing to jump in ;)

There wasn't any hardcoded logic; everything is handled via scripted events.
I wonder if there is some field one can contribute to even without knowledge of the disassembler IDA (I can't use it).