Please someone help me

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's iPhone port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

jtravapd

Please someone help me

Post by jtravapd »

I basically spend all day at work on my old iPhone using scummvm, when I got my new iPhone 6 plus I was excited to play on my new larger screen . But it just doesn't work anymore. I tried downloading it from the Cyrus repo and that version immediately closes after you open it, I went on the website and used the newest version that is generated daily or whatever it says and I tried both the last known working version and the newest one to test. None worked.

I also tried ssh'ing into my iPhone and changing scummvm-ip5h or whatever is was to just the scummvm executable. This did make the program load instead of just shutting down However all it shows is a orange screen with no text. All that is there is a search box that doesn't allow you to search with.

Can anyone help me? I am using a iPhone 6 plus with iOS 8.1.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Re: Please someone help me

Post by LordHoto »

jtravapd wrote:I basically spend all day at work on my old iPhone using scummvm, when I got my new iPhone 6 plus I was excited to play on my new larger screen . But it just doesn't work anymore. I tried downloading it from the Cyrus repo and that version immediately closes after you open it, I went on the website and used the newest version that is generated daily or whatever it says and I tried both the last known working version and the newest one to test. None worked.

I also tried ssh'ing into my iPhone and changing scummvm-ip5h or whatever is was to just the scummvm executable. This did make the program load instead of just shutting down However all it shows is a orange screen with no text. All that is there is a search box that doesn't allow you to search with.

Can anyone help me? I am using a iPhone 6 plus with iOS 8.1.
Not sure what you are doing, but installing this version shouldn't require any "summvm-iph5h" magic.

Try making a screenshot so we can see what the screen actually looks like.
jtravapd

Post by jtravapd »

I am using version 1.5.0 from Cydia. I have installed and reinstalled several times and still it doesn't work. I can't post a screenshot because when I start scummvm it says loading and then immediately closes. The only way to get it not to immediately close is to mess around with that ip5h file or whatever it's called. I'm at work so can't ssh into my phone right now.

iPhone 6 plus on iOS 8.1
Anyone getting it to work?
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

jtravapd: As LordHoto said previously, do not use the very outdated v1.5.0 from Cydia.

Use the latest v1.7.0 deb package from our download page:
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/scum ... b?download
jtravapd

Post by jtravapd »

ok guys, i tried, i actually had a really hard time just getting the .deb file to my iphone. Obviously i have it jailbroken, i have ifunbox, terminal, ssh, i-tools, and a million other programs and can't find anywhere how to install a .deb file from my pc. I googled the hell out of it and the best i got was to use the install via cydia option in the program ifunbox. However i downloaded it and that option is no longer there. I also tried to open the deb file using ifunboxpro and it says there is no program on my phone that can open it. Not really sure how to get cydia to open it . anyway i extracted the file on my pc, then transferred the new files to my iphone scummvm dir. I clicked over write all.

this is what i get when i open scummvm. I have a feeling if i could install the deb file correctly it wouldn't be giving me all the issues im getting. So if someone can help out with that , that would be great. Thank you guys for your help , and for listing the link with the newest version.

Image[/img]
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=13721
http://sourceforge.net/p/scummvm/bugs/6694/

Retina display issue. Try turning the phone to Landscape, you may then be able to see the "Add Game" and other buttons on the right side.

If you are a developer, then a patch or Pull Request to fix this would be welcomed. We don't have any IOS developers with Retina devices currently.
jtravapd

Post by jtravapd »

Nah turning doesn't work either. I don't think it's a retna issue. My iPad 3 has a retna screen and it worked fine. Now with 8.1 doesn't work anymore. I think retna displays have been out now for a couple generations. The iPhone 6 plus is different in that it's internal resolution is I believe double 1080p and then down sampled to 1080p.

Thanks for the help though. Question , how come we can't download the app from cydia anymore? It was must easier that way. Just curious.
jtravapd

Post by jtravapd »

digitall wrote:http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=13721
http://sourceforge.net/p/scummvm/bugs/6694/

Retina display issue. Try turning the phone to Landscape, you may then be able to see the "Add Game" and other buttons on the right side.

If you are a developer, then a patch or Pull Request to fix this would be welcomed. We don't have any IOS developers with Retina devices currently.

Also thanks for the work. I still enjoy scummvm on my laptop. I wanna screw off at work though so hopefully someone gets this iPhone app working correctly. Lol
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

The rotation lock is a known issue... patches welcome:
http://sourceforge.net/p/scummvm/bugs/4879/

As for Cydia, see Forum Rule 3b:
http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=17

As far as I can see, it adds the ability to add APT repositories which use Deb packages such as the one on our downloads page.

I'm not sure what repository ScummVM-1.5.0 for IOS is being served from, but it is likely a third party not under our control.

Our IOS porter would likely know... but he is very busy and only occasionally around:
http://www.saurik.com/id/1
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

As for "hopefully someone gets this iPhone app working correctly." ... We are an open source project. If you want it working... fix it! :)
jtravapd

Post by jtravapd »

digitall wrote:As for "hopefully someone gets this iPhone app working correctly." ... We are an open source project. If you want it working... fix it! :)

sorry man, i left my computer engineering degree to get a job with the government. lol...no seriously, its double the salary. That being said, i can build you a computer and parts, but wouldn't be much help writing code. Actually i can make a single colored ball bounce around on the screen using C+. lol. that was the end of my coding.

Unfortunately i have to leave it up to the smarter guys/gals. But your absolutely right, there are millions of iphone owners, one of them has to be in our age group that loves these games still.

as for the repo offering scummvm , the only one i ever knew of was urbanfanatics , but they stopped updating it a long time ago. Not sure of anyone else that ever offered it. Or if we are even allowed to talk about it here.
thank you for the work though, like i said before, i seriously spend most of my gaming on my laptop using your program.

I would say my i7 4930MX, with 32gigs ram, and 780M SLI is overkill , but hey every now and again i need to run something alittle more taxing on the system.
10tacle

Post by 10tacle »

Hi!

I just downloaded version 1.7 from the link above, opened it with iFile and tapped 'install'. The installation seemed to work, but what next? When I go back to the homescreen I don't see the ScummVM icon. Did I miss anything?

After browsing through iFile again, I can see the ScummVM-App in the applications folder, but that's it. Can't do anything.

Any ideas? :(

iPhone 6, iOS 8.1.1 jailbroken
Noodles

Post by Noodles »

Hello! Sorry for my English - I use online translator. Please tell me how to install the nightly build of ScummVM? I downloaded the archive, such as this (I still cannot give links), extract, create the Payload folder, put it in the folder ScummVM.app, create an archive with the extension .ipa, install using iFunbox - installation is successful, appears on the desktop icon, but when I try to run it immediately drops to the desktop. (iPad Air 2, ios 8.1.2, jail). Tried to sign the generated ipa developer certificate, but without result. How can I fix it?