In case of Zork adventure, break glass!

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Longcat

Post by Longcat »

"ariblk.ttf" is not Arial, right?

Some variants of these fonts are not available (e.g. Century Gothic only has a regular version, not bold or italic), which is why the code that detects font availability won't work properly with these fonts - this is the comment that eriktorbjorn is referring to. I'll check the font detection code so that it works properly with the Windows fonts.
Yeah, "ariblk.ttf" is(as eriktorbjørn pointed out) Arial Black and is listed as being part of the Arial font family in microsofts databases. The fonts listed are all complete families acoording to this:http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fonts/family.aspx

Thanks for looking into this. It would be great if the datafiles listing could be updated with a list of required Windows fonts and their version.
And being able to put the files in a folder inside the game archive.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Longcat wrote: Thanks for looking into this. It would be great if the datafiles listing could be updated with a list of required Windows fonts and their version.
Detection of Windows fonts has been fixed, try the next daily build. You can already put the fonts inside the game folder, but putting them in ScummVM's extras folder makes them available to all games that would need them...

In any case, Liberation fonts look best atm
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

md5 wrote:
Longcat wrote: Thanks for looking into this. It would be great if the datafiles listing could be updated with a list of required Windows fonts and their version.
Detection of Windows fonts has been fixed, try the next daily build. You can already put the fonts inside the game folder, but putting them in ScummVM's extras folder makes them available to all games that would need them...

In any case, Liberation fonts look best atm
Great, thank you, it works perfectly now! :)

Is there a list of what fonts(and their variations) that are actually used by the game?

What other games might require these fonts?

Thanks again!
sndwv

Post by sndwv »

md5 wrote: Yes, it is, although the hires MPEG2 videos aren't supported, only the lowres AVI videos are supported

Edit: In particular, the MPEG2 videos themselves are supported, but the AC3 audio that they use isn't
Just found a DVD version of ZGI (Gateway OEM version) and followed the instructions from the 'datafiles' page. Should I currently be able to 'enable' the .vob movies (but without sound) or not at all? I'm double-checking because the instructions specifically mention to copy ./eng_mpeg over.

The .vobs play just fine (both video & audio) in my W7x64 WMP, but I might have a software AC3 decoder and/or hardware support?

By the way, what is the ./engmpegc dir (and inquisc.zix) for? It appears to have slightly smaller versions (and less files) than the the ./eng_mpeg dir.

edit: what I'm asking is: if the .vobs should work, where should I be able to see them? The 'Propaganda on Parade' video is already not the .vob version.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

sndwv wrote:Should I currently be able to 'enable' the .vob movies (but without sound) or not at all?
No, those lines in the game engine have been commented out.

There have been some experiments getting the audio to work, but last time I checked it would get noticeably out of sync with the video after a little bit.
sndwv

Post by sndwv »

eriktorbjorn wrote:some experiments getting the audio to work, but last time I checked it would get noticeably out of sync with the video after a little bit.
Thanks! Would be fun to have a look. Is there a compiled version of that branch out there, or would I need to compile it myself (never done that before)?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

sndwv wrote:Is there a compiled version of that branch out there, or would I need to compile it myself (never done that before)?
Probably the latter. (Compiling under Linux should be pretty simple. I don't know about other operating systems.)
Trelane

Post by Trelane »

Is there any word yet on how close we are to getting DVD video support in Zork: Grand Inquisitor? The DVD video is a huge improvement over the CD version, and most people (including me) never had access to it when it came out.

Although the DVD version does run on modern machines, the view doesn't scroll properly, making the game very irritating to play. Sadly, the scrolling is fine under ScummVM but the DVD video isn't.

It's great to have ScummVM support for the game though. I can't wait to see a fully-working solution.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Trelane wrote:Is there any word yet on how close we are to getting DVD video support in Zork: Grand Inquisitor? The DVD video is a huge improvement over the CD version, and most people (including me) never had access to it when it came out.
Hard to say. There is already support (disabled) for playing the hi-res videos without sound, and there does exist an open-source library for decoding the sound. But while there is an attempt at using this, the last time I tried it the videos would play at slightly the wrong speed, so the sound would get pretty badly out of sync towards the end of the longer ones.

Right now, it seems to be stalled unfortunately.
HappehLemons

Post by HappehLemons »

eriktorbjorn wrote:
Trelane wrote:Is there any word yet on how close we are to getting DVD video support in Zork: Grand Inquisitor? The DVD video is a huge improvement over the CD version, and most people (including me) never had access to it when it came out.
Hard to say. There is already support (disabled) for playing the hi-res videos without sound, and there does exist an open-source library for decoding the sound. But while there is an attempt at using this, the last time I tried it the videos would play at slightly the wrong speed, so the sound would get pretty badly out of sync towards the end of the longer ones.

Right now, it seems to be stalled unfortunately.
Ah what a bummer! Well thanks for the hard work guys anyway. Hopefully one day we'll be able to play the game in full dvd glory!
jakewalsh

In case of Zork adventure, break glass!

Post by jakewalsh »

Just a thought if it hasn't been tried already, would using DVDExpress help get ZGI DVD Version running properly on Win7 and later?

I remember a few years ago I managed to get the DVD and Hi-res videos running perfectly on Windows XP by first installing DVDExpress.

There may be legal complications maybe now, as I'm not sure who owns it anymore. It might have been Mediamatics?

I suppose another avenue might be installing XP Mode to run it under XP, but I haven't tried that yet.

Good luck!