In case of Zork adventure, break glass!

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

md5
ScummVM Developer

In case of Zork adventure, break glass!

Post by md5 »

ScummVM takes you on an adventure in the world of Zork, with support for two new games! In Zork Nemesis: The Forbidden Lands, your task is to embark on a journey to solve the mystery of a spirit called Nemesis, and of the four alchemists it killed. On your second journey to Zork, in Zork: Grand Inquisitor, you must find three legendary objects that will restore all magic to the realm and bring about the fall of Grand Inquisitor Yannick, whose goal is to "shun magic, shun the appearance of magic, shun everything, and then shun shunning".

The ScummVM Team is proud to announce that both Zork Nemesis: The Forbidden Lands and Zork: Grand Inquisitor are now playable in ScummVM using the latest daily builds, and ready for testing.

As usual, all bugs should be reported to our bug tracker following our bug submission guidelines.
While you play through the two games, we would also love it if you could take some screenshots for us.

So, grab your game discs and help test! If you don't own the games already, they can be purchased online at GOG.com:
Last edited by md5 on Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:58 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reckless

Post by Reckless »

Great news for supporting yet more titles! Before I try to dig it out, is the DVD version of Grand Inquisitor supported?
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Reckless wrote:Great news for supporting yet more titles! Before I try to dig it out, is the DVD version of Grand Inquisitor supported?
Yes, it is, although the hires MPEG2 videos aren't supported, only the lowres AVI videos are supported

Edit: In particular, the MPEG2 videos themselves are supported, but the AC3 audio that they use isn't
Last edited by md5 on Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reckless

Post by Reckless »

Damn, that's a shame. Will dig it out and do some testing anyways.

Thanks for the detailed instructions on the data files page.

Followed the DVD content data transfer; game runs without issue so far - visited the town and did a couple of small actions. Looking pretty good (will look much better if/when the DVD movies are supported!).

Great work and much appreciated!
HappehLemons

Post by HappehLemons »

So AWESOME! I've been waiting for this ever since you guys make that post in 2013 about the summer of code.

Will the DVD version movies ever be fully supported?
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

HappehLemons wrote:So AWESOME! I've been waiting for this ever since you guys make that post in 2013 about the summer of code.

Will the DVD version movies ever be fully supported?
Once we get a working AC3 decoder, certainly.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Reckless wrote: Thanks for the detailed instructions on the data files page.
I should point out that since md5 added support for using the Liberation(tm) fonts as a replacement for the Microsoft fonts late last night, I've just updated the data files page to include a link to them. You can still use the GNU FreeFonts, though at the moment they cause some text rendering issues. I don't know if these issues will be worked around, or if support for these fonts will eventually be dropped.

I made some screenshots of what the font rendering looked like yesterday.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

eriktorbjorn wrote:
I should point out that since md5 added support for using the Liberation(tm) fonts as a replacement for the Microsoft fonts late last night, I've just updated the data files page to include a link to them. You can still use the GNU FreeFonts, though at the moment they cause some text rendering issues. I don't know if these issues will be worked around, or if support for these fonts will eventually be dropped.

Questions:
1) Wouldn't those fonts be better suited in themes/fonts/?

2) Will ScummVM prioritize the Liberation fonts and pick them up if it finds both font packages in extras/ or should one only install the package that should be used?

3) Other games will also make use of some of those fonts (wme?) later, won't they?
Could this font related bug be caused through the text rendering issue you mentioned above and "fixed" by also using the Liberation fonts?
#6573 WME: Rosemary - Font error
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Raziel wrote: 2) Will ScummVM prioritize the Liberation fonts and pick them up if it finds both font packages in extras/ or should one only install the package that should be used?
As far as I can tell, it will first look for the Microsoft font, then the Liberation font, then the FreeFont font. So if both the Liberation and FreeFont packages are installed it should pick Liberation. The commit message agrees with this, saying that "These look better than the GNU FreeType fonts, and are thus preferred over them".

I don't know about the other questions, but from what I understand there shouldn't be any licensing problems with distributing the Liberation fonts with ScummVM, if that's desirable.
Reckless

Post by Reckless »

eriktorbjorn wrote:

OK. Thanks for the update; I'll swap out the fonts for the Liberation fonts.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

How should the Windows font files be named and placed?
I've copied the required font files from Windows 8 and Office 2007 and placed them in the game directory, but ScummVM does not seem to detect them.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Longcat wrote:How should the Windows font files be named and placed?
I've copied the required font files from Windows 8 and Office 2007 and placed them in the game directory, but ScummVM does not seem to detect them.
I think the code to check for if all the fonts are present is broken for the Windows fonts at the moment. (I left a comment to that effect recently.)

The basic font files are named arial.ttf, censcbk.ttf, cour.ttf, gara.ttf, and times.ttf. It then assumes that it can get the bold, italics and bold+italics versions by adding "bd", "i" and "bi" to the names, e.g. arialbd.ttf, ariali.ttf and arialbi.ttf.

This probably works for the fonts that are actually used in the games, but at least for me it breaks down when it looks for Century Schoolbook and Garamond.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

I see, I guess I will wait for a fix then. Thanks for the reply.

If it helps, here is my list of TrueType fonts with their original filenames from Windows 8.1 and Office 2007:

arial.ttf
arialbd.ttf
arialbi.ttf
ariali.ttf
ariblk.ttf
censcbk.ttf
schlbkb.ttf
schlbkbi.ttf
schlbki.ttf
cour.ttf
courbd.ttf
courbi.ttf
couri.ttf
gara.ttf
garabd.ttf
garait.ttf
times.ttf
timesbd.ttf
timesbi.ttf
timesi.ttf

They should all be the latest version from MicroSoft.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Longcat wrote:I see, I guess I will wait for a fix then. Thanks for the reply.

If it helps, here is my list of TrueType fonts with their original filenames from Windows 8.1 and Office 2007:

arial.ttf
arialbd.ttf
arialbi.ttf
ariali.ttf
ariblk.ttf
censcbk.ttf
schlbkb.ttf
schlbkbi.ttf
schlbki.ttf
cour.ttf
courbd.ttf
courbi.ttf
couri.ttf
gara.ttf
garabd.ttf
garait.ttf
times.ttf
timesbd.ttf
timesbi.ttf
timesi.ttf

They should all be the latest version from MicroSoft.
"ariblk.ttf" is not Arial, right?

Some variants of these fonts are not available (e.g. Century Gothic only has a regular version, not bold or italic), which is why the code that detects font availability won't work properly with these fonts - this is the comment that eriktorbjorn is referring to. I'll check the font detection code so that it works properly with the Windows fonts.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

md5 wrote: "ariblk.ttf" is not Arial, right?
It's "Arial Black", so it's probably not relevant here.