Will XCOM games be supported?

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Tiagop

Will XCOM games be supported?

Post by Tiagop »

Hi,, nice job on ScummVM,, it's a brilliant aplication! :D ... I wonder if you could support XCOM Terror from the Deep or XCOM Ufo Enemy Unknown?

Once again,, brilliant job :wink:
My regards,,,
Tiago
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

I sincerely doubt it.. aren't those games strategy games? The focus of ScummVM is for adventure games only, at least for the forseeable future.
clem

Post by clem »

there are efforts for a fan-remake of UFO (though I don't remember the url)
UFO/TFTD are definitely out of scope for ScummVM (but then again they run perfectly in DOSBox anyway?)

clem
Tiagop

Post by Tiagop »

yeah ,, they're strategy games,, they work with dosbox,, but I wanted to play them on my Nokia 6630 :wink:

Thanks for your reply
My Regards
Tiago
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Tiagop wrote:yeah ,, they're strategy games,, they work with dosbox,, but I wanted to play them on my Nokia 6630 :wink:
But you need to consider that the main reason ScummVM is able to run on low-end hardware is precisely because it's not an emulator: it's a re-implementation of several completely different game engines, with each engine handling a different family of games.

The source code for a single game engine is typically somewhere between 20,000 and 25,000 lines of text (comments and blank lines included). In fact, in the development version of ScummVM, the only engines smaller than that are the ones that are still unfinished. On the other end of the scale, we have the SCUMM engine itself, which clocks in at just over 100,000 lines of text.

We've been lucky in that in many cases we have been able to either work from the original source code, or assimilate an existing project. Even so, it is still a lot of work.
Tiagop

Post by Tiagop »

I understand :wink: .. thanks for your time :)

My regards
Tiago