Where is the Orly's Draw-a-Story demo looking for its data?

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

GeorgeQGreg

Where is the Orly's Draw-a-Story demo looking for its data?

Post by GeorgeQGreg »

So I downloaded the Orly demo from sourceforge, I got it running in an emulator, but it's asking me to insert the Orly demo CD. Even putting the files from the demo onto a CD image doesn't help, and it even ejects the virtual drive! So, does anyone know what CD this came from, or where the game is looking for its data? Oh, to be specific, it's the interactive portion, playable "Lancelot Bug Eater" giving me trouble. The rest of the demo seems to work fine, and strangely also looks to be Director. The way I know it's looking for something on a CD is from running the Orly32 program, the screen just goes black running from the director program. There's also a slightly different demo on the Toejam and Earl website, seems largely the same, just without the interactive portion.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

I don't think I ever looked at the Orly demo beyond knowing it was Mohawk. I don't even recall where it's from at the moment, but maybe fuzzie remembers.

In ORLYDATA/, ORLY.EXE, ORLY32.EXE, and GLUEAPP.EXE are the Mohawk binaries; _ORLYDEM.EXE is the Director binaries; _BUGEATR.EXE and LAUNCHER.EXE look custom. Since the minigame isn't even (directly) Mohawk, I'm not sure I'd be able to help more than this.

Do you have a link to that Toejam and Earl version?
GeorgeQGreg

Post by GeorgeQGreg »

clone2727 wrote:Do you have a link to that Toejam and Earl version?
The download a demo button. Yes, the website hasn't changed in a LONG time! http://www.tjande.com/orly/mainmap.htm

You don't think any of the demo uses mohawk? That's... confusing.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

GeorgeQGreg wrote:The download a demo button. Yes, the website hasn't changed in a LONG time! http://www.tjande.com/orly/mainmap.htm
That one is all Director.
GeorgeQGreg wrote:You don't think any of the demo uses mohawk? That's... confusing.
What? Where did I say that?
GeorgeQGreg

Post by GeorgeQGreg »

Yup, as I said, the one on the website is all director. USELESS TO YOU!

It's pretty obvious I misunderstood you, and it seems you misunderstood me too. So, care to clarify?
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

GeorgeQGreg wrote:Yup, as I said, the one on the website is all director. USELESS TO YOU!
Except you didn't say that? :)
GeorgeQGreg wrote:There's also a slightly different demo on the Toejam and Earl website, seems largely the same, just without the interactive portion.
That's all you said of that demo. Looking back at what you said before that:
GeorgeQGreg wrote:Oh, to be specific, it's the interactive portion, playable "Lancelot Bug Eater" giving me trouble.
So, going by your paragraph, I could only take that as being "the Toejam and Earl demo didn't have that minigame only".
GeorgeQGreg wrote:It's pretty obvious I misunderstood you, and it seems you misunderstood me too. So, care to clarify?
What do you misunderstand?
GeorgeQGreg

Post by GeorgeQGreg »

Ok, well, I was having trouble with the scummvm demo, which does have a mohawk portion, which I did download from sourceforge, I think is supposed to have a playable version of Lancelot blah blah, and I feel like there was another clarification I was gonna add here, but then forgot. :P

Anyway, I think the source of my confusion is:
Since the minigame isn't even (directly) Mohawk
On that note, glueapp? Odd name, I wonder what it does. I'm still not sure! Of course that's neither here nor there.

It's that when I ran the mohawk EXE, it asked for the CD, and I figured that was why it wasn't working. So I was hoping someone here would know what the demo wants, so I can make it work.
GeorgeQGreg

Post by GeorgeQGreg »

Well, I got it working, simply by recopying the files. This demo does weird things! When the interactive portion is finished, it deletes half the game data files! What's going on? Oh well.