Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes - why not for this long time

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Nikioko

Post by Nikioko »

I would really appreciate the Lost Files being supported. Especially the Rose Tattoo is one of the best adventure games ever.
a.borque

Post by a.borque »

As some time (nearly half a year) has passed now:

Are there any news on this? Any progress in data-recovery?

Thanks an grettings
A.Borque
sirlemonhead

Post by sirlemonhead »

No news that I can share really, other than we were making lots of progress. Things have been quiet lately as I think the person who's helping me get the source code has quite a lot on his plate at the moment.

So yeah, more waiting I think.
a.borque

Post by a.borque »

As time goes by... after nearly 6 month just a short question:
Are there any news on this? Could the original files be restored by the developer or is there any other progress on an implementation?
Thanks!
A.Borque
Strangerke
ScummVM Developer

Post by Strangerke »

Same situation, but there's still hope.
a.borque

Post by a.borque »

Good to hear! I really love the two "Lost Files" games!
Let's hope that the data recovery does not become something like Duke Nukem Forever... ;-)
Strangerke
ScummVM Developer

Post by Strangerke »

As Duke Nukem Forever has been released at the end... I hope we'll get the same result ;)
a.borque

Post by a.borque »

With nearly six month passed it is time for the usual question (at least my calendar told me ;-) ):
Any news, any progress, any hope left?
If not: is there any chance to (how to) suggest Holmes-Support as a scumm-project in Googles Summer of Code (2015)?
Thanks and Greetings
A.Borque
sirlemonhead

Post by sirlemonhead »

We needn't worry about data recovery as we have a source who has the full source code. My contact has been very busy recently so things are moving very slowly.
Nikioko

Post by Nikioko »

Just being interested: is there any news on that? Lost Files on ScummVM would really be great news.
Strangerke
ScummVM Developer

Post by Strangerke »

Situation unchanged.
a.borque

Post by a.borque »

Hello!
As there seems to be a (slow?) access to the source code but none of the active developers is in touch with the project (correct me if I am wrong), may I propose adding the lost-files-games to ScummVM for the next Google Summer of codes if ScummVM participates again?
I mean there have been so many games and engines added, that this might be nice?
As I said before unfortunately I can not write a single line of C++-code and I do not know to suggest it as one of ScummVMs google-projects myself. So spending money to the project and joining discussions from time to time is all I can do.
Happy new year!
A.Borque
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

a.borque wrote:Hello!
As there seems to be a (slow?) access to the source code but none of the active developers is in touch with the project (correct me if I am wrong), may I propose adding the lost-files-games to ScummVM for the next Google Summer of codes if ScummVM participates again?
I mean there have been so many games and engines added, that this might be nice?
As I said before unfortunately I can not write a single line of C++-code and I do not know to suggest it as one of ScummVMs google-projects myself. So spending money to the project and joining discussions from time to time is all I can do.
Happy new year!
A.Borque
Proposing a new engine for GSoC is not an easy task. We can't ask potential students to reverse engineer code as a ask - this is something very hard to do, and not feasible to suggest for a potential GSoC project. So, suggesting this engine as a potential GSoC client won't ensure in any way that it'll be magically implemented by someone.

The engine-related tasks that have been suggested as GSoC projects were all based on original/reverse engineered code in some form or another (e.g. ZVision, Sfinx etc). There is no such code for this engine.
a.borque

Post by a.borque »

I am sure it is hard work to implement a new engine and it is difficult or even impossible for a single person in a single summer.
But as sirlemonhead stated at the beginning of 2013 (and again mid 2014) there is (very slow) access to the source, so this was, what I was hoping for when suggesting it for google.
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

a.borque: Slow is not quite the right English word here.

As far as I know based on his statements here, only sirlemonhead has got a copy of the original sources from the developer / rightsholder and he doesn't appear to have permission to share those with the rest of the team or a random GSoC student.

If he could secure a release for those as GPL-2, then the work of conversion, updating and refactoring them by a GSoC student would be possible.