Compiling PocketScumm in VS2005

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PocketPC/HandheldPC port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

mars_3-142

Compiling PocketScumm in VS2005

Post by mars_3-142 »

Does anyboby compile PocketScumm under VS2005? I receive sometimes the sources via svn and compile it via cygwin (for Windows). But the savegames are not compatible with PocketScumm 0.8.2, that's why I can't play under Windows and Windows Mobile 5 the same game.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Do you have zLib support in both builds? (see about dialog)

Eugene
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

What error message are you getting? It seems that in some instances, Zlib will build without proper seeking support for reads. If the error message seems to indicate that ScummVM can't read the Info section of the savegame correctly, this will most likely be the problem. If so, try a precompiled version (if you built it yourself), or otherwise compile it yourself.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Vinterstum wrote:It seems that in some instances, Zlib will build without proper seeking support for reads.
A question. Can you reproduce that? If you do then we should detect that and display a warning. That would be the best, because this is fourth or fifth such report in last month.

Eugene
mars_3-142

Invalid Version

Post by mars_3-142 »

I see under PocketScumm 0.8.2 the text: "invalid version" if I want to open a savegame from ScummVM 0.9.0svn.

Both versions supports zlib but can is zlib eq zlib-ce? I mean, are the formats compatible?

On the other way, I can open my PocketScumm savegames under ScummVM 0.9.0svn.

Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

sev wrote:
Vinterstum wrote:It seems that in some instances, Zlib will build without proper seeking support for reads.
A question. Can you reproduce that? If you do then we should detect that and display a warning. That would be the best, because this is fourth or fifth such report in last month.

Eugene
Yes, easily enough I think. Just need to 1. Create a gzipped file, 2. read a few bytes, 3. check position, 4. seek forward a few bytes, 5. check position again. if positions are the same = faulty zlib.

Do you mean a ./configure check, or just a warning() when the problem crops up? (e.g. user trying and failing to load a game) I can cook something up either way.

With regards to the poster's problem: That error message doesn't sound like the faulty zlib problem, however. I'm not familiar enough with either the pocketpc build or the scumm engine to know what the actual problem is though.

(To anyone who wants to see if they have the zlib issue: The easiest way to detect that particular problem is if the thumbnail is shown in the load game dialog, but not the savegame info (time played, time saved, etc), on desktop builds).
mars_3-142

ScummVM (self compiled)

Post by mars_3-142 »

If I try to open a savegame from PocketPC - only the picture is not in real color. Under WinCE/PocketPC there is no screenshot, so I can't say if it is right. The both screenshots are made together - I did'nt played between them.

Do you need anything more?
sev
ScummVM Lead

Re: Invalid Version

Post by sev »

mars_3-142 wrote:I see under PocketScumm 0.8.2 the text: "invalid version" if I want to open a savegame from ScummVM 0.9.0svn.
Of course. That explains everything. Our savegames are backward compatible, not forward compatible. I.e. you can open your older format 0.8.2 saves in 0.9.0cvs, but not more advanced 0.9.0cvs saves in old 0.8.2 version.

Speaking of 0.9.0cvs, saves could be changed even within, so, say December 0.9.0 cannot open March saves.

Eugene
sev
ScummVM Lead

Re: ScummVM (self compiled)

Post by sev »

mars_3-142 wrote:If I try to open a savegame from PocketPC - only the picture is not in real color.
Is it 0.8.2? There was a bug with screenshots which we fixed in SVN.

Eugene
mars_3-142

Re: ScummVM (self compiled)

Post by mars_3-142 »

sev wrote: Is it 0.8.2? There was a bug with screenshots which we fixed in SVN.
The second screenshot (Windows XP) was in 0.9.0svn and the savegame from PocketScumm 0.8.2.

If there really is not backward compatibility, then I posted this thread right. I need a solution for compiling under VS205 for Windows Mobile 5, so I can compile the svn for Windows XP and Windows Mobile 5 ;)
Zedr0n

Post by Zedr0n »

I second the request.

Can anybody explain how to compile PocketScumm under VS2005 for Windows Mobile 2003?

The project files under dist/evc4 seem to be corrupted in the CVS snapshots

In the wiki there is no info on the subject, so any help is greatly appreciated.

TIA
knakos
ScummVM Porter

Post by knakos »

There are some things mentioned here: http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=60. As for corrupted files, in evc3 the project file must have dos newlines (CR+LF) which are converted to LF only by cvs.