Talkie Support?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Dreamcast port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

47iscool

Talkie Support?

Post by 47iscool »

Would this be possible to add in the DC version?
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

Talkie support for what?
47iscool

Post by 47iscool »

digitall wrote:Talkie support for what?
Monkey Island 1 & 2.
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

That is implemented within the SCUMM engine and should "just work" on all ports, including Dreamcast.

However, DC only has support for MP3 external files IIRC.. So you need to make sure that the talkie pack is using those, rather than OGG, FLAC etc.
47iscool

Post by 47iscool »

Well was able to get the talkie verion of SoMI to work with the version that builds to run on DOS.

I converted all of the flac files to 128 kbps mp3 and it wouldn't start at all. Do the mp3 files for the DC version need to be on the root of the disc? Because all of the tracks are in the game folder.
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

DOS? *shrug* Anyway, I suggest that you first get this working on a desktop version of ScummVM i.e. on Win32/OSX/Linux. Get it working first with FLAC and then with the MP3 files.

As far as I know, the MP3 files should go in the same folder as the monkey1 / monkey2 datafiles.

Only when you have sorted out these issues, retry getting this to work with the Dreamcast version.

I have never tried this either on desktop or my Dreamcast so I can only offer general advice and your mileage may vary.
47iscool

Post by 47iscool »

digitall wrote:DOS? *shrug* Anyway, I suggest that you first get this working on a desktop version of ScummVM i.e. on Win32/OSX/Linux. Get it working first with FLAC and then with the MP3 files.

As far as I know, the MP3 files should go in the same folder as the monkey1 / monkey2 datafiles.

Only when you have sorted out these issues, retry getting this to work with the Dreamcast version.

I have never tried this either on desktop or my Dreamcast so I can only offer general advice and your mileage may vary.
The talkie builder can build a a version on monkey 1 and 2 that will work under DOS.

Also the talkie edition builders will only build a DOS version which uses .sou (wav) or a version specifically for ScummVM which uses flac audio tracks and it builds and .sof using the music from the special edition.

I'm guessing the problem is a won't build a .so3 mp3 file, so I'm guessing scumm won't work with mp3 audio tracks and wav voice files at the same time