[Future Wars]

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's iPhone port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

andwan0

[Future Wars]

Post by andwan0 »

1. Does anyone else find it quite sluggish, compared to the Amiga/PC version?

2. Also, since it's sluggish, the menu and normal mouse pointer clicking response is really slow.

3. The crushing ceiling keypad puzzle is practically impossible to get past. We have to OPERATE each number button. This is really slow to do on the iPad/iPhone sluggish response menu/pointer.
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

Do you mean when compared to the original interpreter running in DOSBox or compared to the latest ScummVM v1.7.0git when running on Win32?
andwan0

Post by andwan0 »

digitall wrote:Do you mean when compared to the original interpreter running in DOSBox or compared to the latest ScummVM v1.7.0git when running on Win32?
Actually I haven't played it on scummvm windows, just I seen a long play Amiga on YouTube and it was fast smooth.

Have you tried future wars on scummvm windows/mac? Try and get past the crushing ceiling near the start of the game
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

No problems here with the latest git master. Got past the crushing ceiling / keypad room fine. You do have to be quick with the code and operate every button.

I suggest you compare the behaviour of the latest v1.7.0git iOS build with the latest v1.7.0git windows build and the behaviour running under the original interpreter i.e. DOSBox for a DOS version or UAE for the Amiga version:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UAE_%28emulator%29

As noted, you will require an original Kickstart ROM dump and Workbench disks to use that, but these are available with the Amiga Forever collection.
andwan0

Post by andwan0 »

I found that it's sluggish coz it's on the slow speed. From looking at the reference card, you can change game speed with the - and + keys, which works on iPhone/iPad port.

As with the PC ScummVM version, on slow setting, the menus are like unresponsive... just like the iPad version.

Then I find out that the iPad's Function keys are mapped to the secondary keyboard:

- / : ; ( ) £ & @ "
for
F1-F10

This is a problem since I can speed up the game, but I cannot slow down the game since the minus button is remapped to F1.

Luckily, reseting the game resets the speed back to slow normal... and the use of F1 (examine) and F5 (operate) really does help with the crushing ceiling keypad puzzle... so now am past it :D