Cannot change graphics mode on ipad

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's iPhone port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Neil

Cannot change graphics mode on ipad

Post by Neil »

Hello to all developpers.

In a previous thread I inquired about how to change the filter to return to a pixellated filter and md5 kindly gave me the instructions on how to do so, however upon following those instructions I found that within the option settings the "graphics mode" doesn't have any choices other than 'default', everything else under "render mode" is all there (CGA, EGA etc).

I checked on my computer version (an older version) and the choices do show up, however on both my ipad1 and ipad2 updated to the latest version neither has any other options than default.

Any help would be much appreciated.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Cannot change graphics mode on ipad

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Neil wrote: I found that within the option settings the "graphics mode" doesn't have any choices other than 'default', everything else under "render mode" is all there (CGA, EGA etc).
While I don't have an iPhone/iPad myself, I can at least hazard a guess. Though to do so, I may have to get a bit technical.

ScummVM consists mostly of platform-independent code, i.e. code that can be compiled an run on most sensible operating systems and platforms. In the end, of course some parts have to be separated into platform-specific "backends" to actually deal with playing sounds, drawing graphics, accessing the file system, etc. The various graphics filters are platform-independent. However, it is the graphics backend that is responsible for applying them. The options dialog calls the backend to ask for a list of the graphics modes it supports. Apparently, the iPad version you're running doesn't support any, apart from the default one.

The rendering modes are different. They tell the game engine to render graphcis in a different way than it would ordinarily do. Usually this is to prentend it's running on limited hardware, e.g. 16 colours instead of 256. Only a few games support this, as far as I know. In some cases, ScummVM probably doesn't bother supporting it. In other cases, the game was written at a time when there was only one graphics standard that really mattered to it.
Thorwan

Post by Thorwan »

I'm having the same issue. We really need the option to change the graphics mode on the iPad. While it's nice to have the games playable at fullscreen, it's way too blurry at the moment. I don't even want anything special like the MAME modes. Just simple 1x, 2x etc options with nice blocky pixels. Integer-only scaling.

Is there a way to force this using the scummvm.ini? 1x should be possible on any device?
Coflash

Post by Coflash »

Wow

This kind of sucks. Playing it this way makes each game look like somebody smeared vaseline all over my screen.

Surely it's possible, some way, to just have normal pixels, whether it be full screen or not?

It also loses its appeal to me, I like the default pixelated graphics :(
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

Coflash wrote:Wow

This kind of sucks. Playing it this way makes each game look like somebody smeared vaseline all over my screen.

Surely it's possible, some way, to just have normal pixels, whether it be full screen or not?

It also loses its appeal to me, I like the default pixelated graphics :(
Right now it's sadly not possible AFAIK. But I'm currently looking into adding support for unfiltered scaling.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

There will be support for an unfiltered upscaling in the next nightly build of the iPhone port.
Coflash

Post by Coflash »

That's great news, thank you! :D
Coflash

Post by Coflash »

Is there a date in mind when the iPhone build will be updated?

Thanks
fuzzie
ScummVM Developer

Post by fuzzie »

Coflash wrote:Is there a date in mind when the iPhone build will be updated?

Thanks
Did you check? The latest daily build seems to be dated today.
Coflash

Post by Coflash »

Right, I'm new to all of this so I thought Cydia would tell me in the app itself. Usually when something has a new version in Cydia it shows a little red icon for updates.

There's another way to install it?
fuzzie
ScummVM Developer

Post by fuzzie »

Coflash wrote:Right, I'm new to all of this so I thought Cydia would tell me in the app itself. Usually when something has a new version in Cydia it shows a little red icon for updates.

There's another way to install it?
The Cydia repository is maintained by Vinterstum, and it looks like it only has stable (i.e. tested and supported builds from our 6-monthly release cycle) versions.

For nightly builds you'll have to install them yourself from http://buildbot.scummvm.org/builds.html which has our automated daily builds. I have no idea about the specifics of doing that for the iPhone.
Coflash

Post by Coflash »

Got it, you just need to drag the nightly build into iTunes > Apps then sync

Thanks again :)
MajinChibi

Post by MajinChibi »

thanks guys, it looks much better now on ipad 2 without filtering :)
Strife67

Post by Strife67 »

Coflash wrote:Got it, you just need to drag the nightly build into iTunes > Apps then sync

Thanks again :)
It's an Apple developer account needed for nightly build installation? Whenever I try this method with a jailbroken iPad 3, an error message pops up before the icon disappears from the home screen.

EDIT: Nevermind, I managed to install the app by following these instructions: http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?p=49662#49662
potatis

Post by potatis »

So how does it work, without filtering, can non-retina iPad only display 640x480 games without resizing, while retina iPad can enlarge it to 3x?

And as for 320x200 games, can ScummVM emulate those non-square pixels? I was thinking that would not work on non-retina iPad, which would enlarge 3x in both directions, while retina iPad could enlarge 6x horizontally and 7x vertically. Just wondering if purchasing retina iPad would be better with ScummVM.