Edna Breaks out

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Urd

Edna Breaks out

Post by Urd »

It seems there is no thread about this new(!) Adventure from Germany (maybe because of to few Germans around here) but I felt that i had to tell my favourite Adventure Commnunity about it:
Edna Breaks out (OT: Edna bricht aus) is a Game bout edna, who wakes in a padded Room of an Asylum and dont know why. She tinks she is perfectly normal, absolutely not insane, and so dies Harvey, her blue plush-rabbit, tink.
The player has to Help Edna to break out of this Asylum und find auf why she was held there at all. It may be an evil plan of Dr Marcel, the maager of the asylum. He seems to want to hide som dark secret.
In this asylum you meet some (oh wonder!) crazy patients, some dangerous, some not, who will try to help you to get out of here.

The adventure features absolute great character, about 12 hours of speech(therefore needing 7GB of HDD space, quite a lot for an 2D game) and 7 hours of Gameplay.
The Main feature, besides being an classical Point&Click Adventure, is that every interaction has its own unique comment from Edna, the protagonist. you will one one single "that doesn work" for exact one combination of of Items.
Also it Features several quotes from Classics, such as Zack McKracken, Monkey island and al the others.

Unfortunately the game has by kow only been released in Germany, but if you understand German, I absolutely Reccomend this game to you, because it hat a great story great characters, and is jsut absolutely lovely and freakish.

BTW: since it is completely written in Java, it is possible to run this Game with some tricks also on Mac and Linux. (and maybe it helps to implement it to ScummVM if you want ;))
Article on MobyGames: http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/e ... Id,105459/
chrisis

Re: Edna Breaks out

Post by chrisis »

Yes I have to agree, it's a funny game, definitely worth if you can hunt it town.
It has a really strange sense of humour and weird graphics.
Btw: The official website of the game is available in English too: http://edna.daedalic.de/?page=3&lang=en
Urd

Post by Urd »

Reminds me of something: it is actually possible to Translate the Game to English subtitles manually, because the Dialoges are qritten in .txt files, but it lot of work as youn can imagine because if the 12 hours of speech. ^^

and it seems that i am totally confused today so that I post everything in the wrong forum. *shame*
raina

Post by raina »

When will the German learn... Englisch, bitte!
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

I'm reminded of another game that I'd like to play. So Blonde.
Is there a subtitle option? I was glad mindFactory put English subtitles in Broken Sword 2.5.
Urd

Post by Urd »

unfortunately, as fas as i Know, not.
But I will try to Translate it Manually.
If anyone wants to help me, feel free. ^^
raina

Post by raina »

Red_Breast wrote:I was glad mindFactory put English subtitles in Broken Sword 2.5.
Just waiting for the English voices...
iPwnzorz

Post by iPwnzorz »

But the German voices really aren't bad!
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

iPwnzorz wrote:But the German voices really aren't bad!
Getting the original voice for German George probably helped.
Timiditas

Post by Timiditas »

Sorry for gravedigging but I need to update this.
In the meantime, there has been released a sequel to
Edna and Harvey - The breakout
which is called:
Harveys new eyes
And also, both titles are available with full English Subtitles AND voices.

Devs don't seem very eager to port them to other systems, so ScummVM could actually help.

And a sorry goes out to all grammar-nazis if my English is not perfect enough for you. Yes I'm looking at you, you-know-who.