adventure games of eastern europe

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Pseudo_Intellectual

adventure games of eastern europe

Post by Pseudo_Intellectual »

I know, Germany is the state most associated with the genre's ongoing commercial longevity, but we've mostly been seeing freeware releases of games from its neighbours -- Teen Agent and Soltsys from Poland, Draci Historie from the Czech republic... Mavlin: Vesmírný únik (http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/mavlin-vesmrn-nik) looks like another good Czech candidate, if anyone can rustle up its developers.

Please note, I'm not explicitly discussing SCUMMVM support. I'm only strongly implying it 8)
Les

Post by Les »

Well, not the best idea. :) I have Mavlin disk, it's more pain then a game ...

I saw many other much better Czech games ;-) - Good example is the first Messenger of Gods or Slovak game - Mutation of Johny Burger. :)
Strangerke
ScummVM Developer

Post by Strangerke »

I see two problem with those games:
- Devs don't know them and therefore won't find the motivation to spend months on them
- They are usually not translated into English (ex: Mutation of JB was only translated from Czech to German and Polish, iirc)

Additionally, in order to have a game supported, we require the game to be tested intensively and to have enough maintainers. We won't have enough testers nor maintainers if the game is not at least available in English.

So, in order to expect support, we would have to find an agreement with the legal right holder which at least includes the authorization to translate the game. We had the luck to receive that authorization from Robert Špalek for Dragon History and from L.K. Avalon for Soltys, but I doubt we'll find easily other right holders so generous.

So... Maybe one day, with some luck, those games will be translated and supported, but there are no plan to work actively on them for the moment.
Captain Peepcoot

Post by Captain Peepcoot »

There's a great Polish game "Książę i tchórz" (The prince and the coward). But I'm afraid you have to actually speak Polish/some Slavic language to play it.
Seldon

Post by Seldon »

Captain Peepcoot wrote:There's a great Polish game "Książę i tchórz" (The prince and the coward).
There's more info on the topic here
Pseudo_Intellectual

Post by Pseudo_Intellectual »

Another for this unlikely roster: the Czech "Mise Quadam".