Which games would you like to be supported on the future?

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

tumbleweed

Re: Which games would you like to be supported on the future?

Post by tumbleweed »

You can add my votes for:

1 - Return of the Phantom, Dragonsphere (M4)
2 - AGS engine (Blackwell, Maniac Mansions Remake)
3 - Shadow of the Comet + Prisioner of Ice (Infogrames)
4 - Sherlock Holmes Scalpel
5 - Les Manley 2: Lost in LA
6 - Igor: Objective Uikokahonia
7 - Alien Incident
8 - Innocent until Caught 1+2
Serious Callers Only
Got a warning

Post by Serious Callers Only »

ags has ts own engine port: https://github.com/adventuregamestudio/ags

It isn't perfect yet, (there are bugs on some games on linux, and the 'dll plugins' haven't been ported), but for instance, you can play the blackwell, primordia etc games.

In fact i doubt that there is a game that will outright not work, although plenty have glitches that make them uncompletable (as i recently found on 'Donna the avenger of blood').
tumbleweed

Post by tumbleweed »

Serious Callers Only wrote:ags has ts own engine port: https://github.com/adventuregamestudio/ags

It isn't perfect yet, (there are bugs on some games on linux, and the 'dll plugins' haven't been ported), but for instance, you can play the blackwell, primordia etc games.

In fact i doubt that there is a game that will outright not work, although plenty have glitches that make them uncompletable (as i recently found on 'Donna the avenger of blood').
Really?? Nice!!

EDIT: I'm trying to run King's Quest I AGDI's remake, which uses AGS (it even carries the AGS Setup.exe), but it's not recognized by ScummVM. How can I add the game?
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

tumbleweed wrote: Really?? Nice!!

EDIT: I'm trying to run King's Quest I AGDI's remake, which uses AGS (it even carries the AGS Setup.exe), but it's not recognized by ScummVM. How can I add the game?
The repository specified in the previous post is the source for a standalone version of the interpreter, and not part of ScummVM. There is a ScummVM engine for AGS that's being worked on by fuzzie, but I'm not sure what it's current status is.
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

tumbleweed wrote:You can add my votes for:

As per my recent Planet blog posting, I've made a breakthrough in figuring out the MADS engine, so Rex Nebular should be supported in the not too distant future, and I'll likely work on Dragonsphere after that.
tumbleweed

Post by tumbleweed »

Both are good news! Thank you for your effort guys!
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

dreammaster wrote:
tumbleweed wrote:You can add my votes for:

As per my recent Planet blog posting, I've made a breakthrough in figuring out the MADS engine, so Rex Nebular should be supported in the not too distant future, and I'll likely work on Dragonsphere after that.
/me hugs dreammaster
lazylazyjoe

Post by lazylazyjoe »

˄ I see that Rex Nebular is available from GOG as of last week.

Would the two events be related or is that just a happy coincidence? :)
Either way, congratulations. I'm glad there was progress made as last I remember there was a lot of difficult RE'ing to be done & that it might not even be possible.
Strangerke
ScummVM Developer

Post by Strangerke »

Just a happy coincidence :)
Concerning its REing now, dreammaster is making impressive daily progress on the core engine that you may see on git on his public repository. But the hardcoded-logic is really large, some compiler optimizations are giving painful headaches...

So it'll take several months before we send the first call for testers. So, don't hold your breath.
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

Strangerke wrote:Just a happy coincidence :)
Concerning its REing now, dreammaster is making impressive daily progress on the core engine that you may see on git on his public repository. But the hardcoded-logic is really large, some compiler optimizations are giving painful headaches...

So it'll take several months before we send the first call for testers. So, don't hold your breath.
Just so. Previously there were two major sticking points to progress: Firstly, sound for the game was implemented as a series of sound player executables (well, really code resources). So it wasn't just a matter of loading a sound resource and using existing ScummVM sound code to play them back. The code of the sound players also didn't really make any sense to me at the time. Secondarily, all the hardcoded game logic in the executable. This was before Strangerke and I had started doing all the game logic for all the TsAGE games, and I wasn't as eager to try implementing game logic manually for an entire game. Also, at the time, I was hopeful of developing scripts in the IDA decompiler that could convert the game logic to some kind of script that the game engine could interpret.

Fast forward to the present, and my greater (though still somewhat lacking) knowledge of how sound code works meant that I could finally figure out the sound player code, and implement a sound player for the game. And I've dropped the idea of game scripts in favor of implementing the game logic in code, just like the TsAGE games are.

It's just a happy coincidence that Rex will now be available for download to use with the engine when we finish it. :)
ezzetabi

Post by ezzetabi »

Freddo wrote:I agree with Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers. It's my favorite adventure game that isn't supported at the moment.

I would also like to see Discworld Noir supported, but that's outside of the scope of ScummVM. Maybe for Residual when it gets a lot more mature?

I would also love to see a reverse-engineered fan executable for the first two X-COM games; X-COM: UFO Defense & X-COM: Terror from the Deep. But again, that's outside the scope of ScummVM and a new project would be needed for that.
About X-Com, do you know OpenXcom?
tumbleweed

Post by tumbleweed »

I want to remark how it's simply amazing the work dreammaster and strangerke are doing for MADS engine when you check their repo

Wish that out-of-sight HUGE effort for a hidden gem in our memories is compensated somewhere in this life

I hope I had time to learn C++ and help with SCI (specially for gk and lsl7) but I checked what is already done and it's simply discouraging for a non-programmer

Anyway if you think i can help in some mechanical or dirty task for any of both engines (mads/Sci) please count on me
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

tumbleweed wrote:I want to remark how it's simply amazing the work dreammaster and strangerke are doing for MADS engine when you check their repo

Wish that out-of-sight HUGE effort for a hidden gem in our memories is compensated somewhere in this life

I hope I had time to learn C++ and help with SCI (specially for gk and lsl7) but I checked what is already done and it's simply discouraging for a non-programmer

Anyway if you think i can help in some mechanical or dirty task for any of both engines (mads/Sci) please count on me
Great :)

Well, all the logic is hardcoded in MADS games, so a lot of play testing will be needed
tumbleweed

Post by tumbleweed »

Of course!
Just send me a message when I can start testing! I can help on weekends
KnutG

Post by KnutG »

Shadow of the comet was i nice adventure - i have the original german CD in my shelf and would love it to play this again with scummvm... ;)

Fable (1996) from Simbiosis Interactive would be also a nice, interesting adventure to play again...