Croustibat (1993) - Coktel Vision

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Fred_PJ

Croustibat (1993) - Coktel Vision

Post by Fred_PJ »

Has anyone else heard about this game? Does anyone here have a copy of this game in English or French? I own a Portuguese translated version of this game but haven't seen this game anywhere else.
Strangerke
ScummVM Developer

Post by Strangerke »

I never heard about this game, and I don't even find info about it. Could you give some details? Screenshots? The list of files present on the media?
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

I can't find that game listed under Coktel Vision in Mobygames.

Google results show that "Croustibat" is the french for "Fish Finger" ie. breaded stick of white fish. Unsure if it is a specific brand name.
Strangerke
ScummVM Developer

Post by Strangerke »

Posted in place of Fred_PJ:
For those who don't know what I'm talking about, Croustibat is a (French?) brand of fish sticks by Findus, and is also the name of its fish mascot. They were also sold in Portugal under that brand a few years ago.
In 1995, here in Portugal, a videogame based on that character was released. You could send them the barcodes of the fish stick packages to try to win a PC and a copy of the game, or you could send them money to only buy the game right away.

Here is a Portuguese magazine page ad from 1995:

Here is my original copy of the game, a 3,5" floppy disk in a jewel case:

The game itself is a fairly short adventure game, based on this tv commercial (this is the original french version):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4Ou23jpuco

The game runs fine and is playable under Dosbox. I've noticed that the game was made by Coktel Vision, and that the graphics were very similar to Gobliins 2, so I tried swapping the data files of this game with the data files from Gobliins 2 (keeping the same executable file), and it booted fine under Dosbox.

The file list on the disk is as follows:

ALL.ASK
BLOC.INF
CAT.INF
GO.BAT
INSTALL.ASK
INTRO.STK
LOADER.EXE
MDO.CFG
MDO.DEF
SAVE.INF
SETUP.EXE

From what I've seen, the INTRO.STK data file contains some text left from Gobliins 2. Unfortunately, my copy only contains the Portuguese language.

So I have tried running it under ScummVM.

Interestingly, ScummVM detects the game as Gobliins 2:

Surprisingly it boots fine:

"A game developed by Coktel Vision for Findus.":

The starting screen. The Adlib music works fine. Notice the similarities of the graphic style with Gobliins 2:

The "About" screen (some names appear to be broken?):

The upper menu:

And then when you try to use an object, it expectedly crashes:

I doubt that this version will ever be supported in ScummVM, but I would love to see a version in English or even in the original French language, if it exists or ever surfaces.
[/quote]
Strangerke
ScummVM Developer

Post by Strangerke »

I'm very VERY impressed: you found a Coktel game I never heard about: Excellent! :)

It looks like a free game... That's very interesting. I'll start searching for a version immediately. And at the opposite of what you guessed, there are real chances it'sz supported some day. Thanks a lot for this invaluable info!
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

Looks like it might be just a be few changed opcodes. Kind of like how both Bargon Attack and Ween: The Prophecy are just slight modifications of the Gobliins 2 base.

The "unknown block type" error message often means that the previously-called opcode now has an extra parameter, so that's not necessarily a bad sign.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Strangerke wrote:I'm very VERY impressed: you found a Coktel game I never heard about: Excellent! :)
:o :o :o :o :o

THAT is impressive indeed! :D
fac

Post by fac »

Fred_PJ: Is the game free? If it is can you share the files?
CaptainJei

Post by CaptainJei »

Awesome! Well done, Fred.
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

Could you try a current repository checkout / the next daily build? I think it should work now.
lazylazyjoe

Post by lazylazyjoe »

I love that jewel case. Gets you excited for a CD, then open it up, and it's a 3.5 disk.
Marcin1998
Got a warning

Re: Croustibat (1993) - Coktel Vision

Post by Marcin1998 »

Fred_PJ wrote:Has anyone else heard about this game? Does anyone here have a copy of this game in English or French? I own a Portuguese translated version of this game but haven't seen this game anywhere else.
could you send me the copy please ?
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

Marcin1998: Rule #0:
http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=17

Unless we can get this released as Freeware by the current rights holder, downloading this would not be legal.
Marcin1998
Got a warning

Post by Marcin1998 »

digitall wrote:Marcin1998: Rule #0:

Unless we can get this released as Freeware by the current rights holder, downloading this would not be legal.
ou, sorry :shock:
Matt

Post by Matt »

Just out of curiosity: Who is the current rights holder? And did you try to contact them? I mean, the game in question has, without any doubt, been created for advertising purposes (a brand of fish sticks, obviously). Do they expect people to pay for promotional software? If so, how can this game be obtained legally? Do they have any other plans? Or do they refuse to answer? Thanks in advance for clarifying the current situation.