[Compiling ScummVM] Compiling with FreeType

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

monsieurouxx

[Compiling ScummVM] Compiling with FreeType

Post by monsieurouxx »

Hi,

Just need a clarification on something:

The wiki (here: http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Compi ... le_ScummVM ) says to download the libraries archive (very handy by the way!) AND the FreeType library (complete package and developer libraries).

Afterwards, it says one needs to add the libraries manually (from MSCV10 onwards, using SCUMMVM_LIBS). I did so for the precompiled libraries. But the tutorial doesn't mention FreeType again. What should be done with it? Is there a way to simply add it to the SCUMMVM_LIBS path, for the compiling process to take it in account?
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

AFAIK, you should just add Freetype to the compile path as per any other library.

Also, note that the instructions there are somewhat out of date. If you are not already, you should be using the devtools/create_project to generate and update a Visual Studio IDE project file for compilation.
monsieurouxx

Post by monsieurouxx »

digitall wrote:you should be using the devtools/create_project to generate and update a Visual Studio IDE project file for compilation.
Do they add freetype? I'm asking because the downloaded scummvm (1.6) comes with a ready-to-use .sln file for MSVC10, and I would be surprised if it hadn't already been generated with create_project
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

Have checked and those .sln files for MSVC10 were created at the point of source packaging by create_project for v1.6.0 and contain the USE_FREETYPE2 define, so I suspect this should work fine if you just put the library in the SCUMMVM_LIBS folder.

However, the fact that you are asking seems to indicate that you are having problems with this and I doubt this has ever been tested (Our Win32 builds are created using MinGW, not MSVC). I highly suggest regenerating this using create_project to ensure that the IDE files are in sync and then trying again.

If this is still giving you problems, please post the observed error message.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Re: [Compiling ScummVM] Compiling with FreeType

Post by LordHoto »

monsieurouxx wrote:Afterwards, it says one needs to add the libraries manually (from MSCV10 onwards, using SCUMMVM_LIBS). I did so for the precompiled libraries. But the tutorial doesn't mention FreeType again. What should be done with it? Is there a way to simply add it to the SCUMMVM_LIBS path, for the compiling process to take it in account?
Simply keeping them in one place (like the SCUMMVM_LIBS path) should work fine.
monsieurouxx

Re: [Compiling ScummVM] Compiling with FreeType

Post by monsieurouxx »

LordHoto wrote: Simply keeping them in one place (like the SCUMMVM_LIBS path) should work fine.
Yeah, it was rather straightforward. The two things that were worrying me were: 1) the fact that both "regular" freetype libraries and debug libraries must be unpacked, and I was wondering if there would be some collisions between the files names and locations, and 2) the fact that the paths must point to a "freetype2" subfolder, inside freetype.

But overall that was OK.