Monkey Island Talkie - Need help

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Android port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

keem85

Monkey Island Talkie - Need help

Post by keem85 »

Hi there. I have this new 1.5.0 version, and I can't seem to get the voices to work. I have compiled it right and everything. Tried to set the extra path to my monkey-folder with all the audio goodness in it..

Is there some settings I have overseen?

This is how my monkey- folder looks like. I have set the "extra path" to go here: imgur(DOT)com/KY5NRgE
keem85

Post by keem85 »

I tried to import a "SE" version of the music. It seems that the se-music is playing just fine, but I hear no voice when they speak
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

I assume you have the Special Edition release of "The Secret of Monkey Island". Though this version adds voice acting, we do not support that feature, or the SE version generally.

The original version has no voices, only text and music from MIDI or CD audio tracks.

Adding full support for the newer SE features is not trivial and has issues regarding it so don't ask when this will be implemented.
keem85

Post by keem85 »

Yeah, I have the SE version. I found by searching, that people had gotten the voice acting to work with their phones by doing it the way I did.. Is it probably an unofficial release of ScummVM they used maybe?

Edit: to clear a misunderstanding. I have the SE at home, and I have the original DOS version on my Android phone.. I was importing the audio from the SE version, like several tutorials showed me.. I was hoping to get the voice acting on my phone, but I have only the music of SE on my phone now
Jellby

Post by Jellby »

You cannot directly import the voices to ScummVM, you have to build a "new" version. See here: http://www.gratissaugen.de/ultimatetalkies/monkey1.html

As far as I could try, that should work in a standard recent version of ScummVM.
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

Well, firstly, I would try this with the latest v1.7.0git nightly build as v1.5.0 is a bit old (Note that the current stable release is v1.6.0 but it is not in Google Play due to issues with the store and general lack of time to fight with this on the part of the Android porters).

Anyway, try v1.7.0git for Android from:
http://buildbot.scummvm.org/builds.html

Firstly, you will need to uninstall all currently installed ScummVM versions including all plugins. You can not install a daily build alongside the stable release. In fact, I don't think you can install two versions of the same Android application anyway.

Secondly, in order to install the APKs from the daily build zip files, you will need a file manager. I recommend the free and open source Ghost Commander which can also unzip the zip files if downloaded directly to the device.

Thirdly, in order to install these _UNSIGNED_ daily builds, you will need to enable the option in the Android Settings for Unknown sources. This is usually under Settings->Security->Unknown Sources (Allow installation of apps from unknown sources). You can turn this off after you have installed both the main ScummVM apk and the required engine plugins.

If this still fails to work, I think you may need to use a patcher program on the desktop to extract and patch the audio files from SE onto the original MI1 release according to http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=9161

I think this is the tool found here:
http://gratissaugen.de/ultimatetalkies/monkey1.html

Hope this helps.
keem85

Post by keem85 »

Thanks a lot!!! :)
keem85

Post by keem85 »

Jellby wrote:You cannot directly import the voices to ScummVM, you have to build a "new" version. See here: gratissaugen.de/ultimatetalkies/monkey1.html

As far as I could try, that should work in a standard recent version of ScummVM.
Jellby, do you mean that the sounds I've imported will not work? And that the tool given here is a tool to patch a whole new monkey(old) game, with the new voices from SE?

If that's the case, I can understand why it didn't work for me in the first place
Jellby

Post by Jellby »

keem85 wrote:Jellby, do you mean that the sounds I've imported will not work? And that the tool given here is a tool to patch a whole new monkey(old) game, with the new voices from SE?
Well, I don't know how you imported the sounds, but I'm pretty sure just copying some files will not work. It might work for the music, I don't remember how exactly the music is stored in the SE, but if you can find wav/mp3/ogg/flac files corresponding to the CD tracks, that has a high chance to work.

What the tool we linked to does is building the files you would need for ScummVM, from the data in the SE. You don't need to have a previous version monkey1. This version is, if I remember correctly, mostly the CD version (with some bug-fixing patches), with the SE voices and a choice between the CD or SE music (you get both directories and can choose which one to copy).
keem85

Post by keem85 »

Jellby wrote:
keem85 wrote:Jellby, do you mean that the sounds I've imported will not work? And that the tool given here is a tool to patch a whole new monkey(old) game, with the new voices from SE?
Well, I don't know how you imported the sounds, but I'm pretty sure just copying some files will not work. It might work for the music, I don't remember how exactly the music is stored in the SE, but if you can find wav/mp3/ogg/flac files corresponding to the CD tracks, that has a high chance to work.

What the tool we linked to does is building the files you would need for ScummVM, from the data in the SE. You don't need to have a previous version monkey1. This version is, if I remember correctly, mostly the CD version (with some bug-fixing patches), with the SE voices and a choice between the CD or SE music (you get both directories and can choose which one to copy).
Yeah! Well I got both the CD and SE music ripped.. I have stored them in seperate folders inside the root of old-monkey-game on my android phone (sdcard\roms\monkey1\se_music).. And on ScummVM, on the "extra path" I am pointing to the SE_music folder.. But this SE_music folder only contains .ogg music files, and is not containing any voice..

That's why I was wondering if the patched the SE_voices were stored in the old scumm-files (recompiled?)

In other words, I have only managed to rip the music..

EDIT: It looks like this now:
imgur.com/4SHyhrb
keem85

Post by keem85 »

Guys I got it working. I think it was in "MIDI Settings" that I had to choose the soundbank "monkey.sog".. I fiddled with a lot of settings and I got it working :) SE voices AND music! PERFECT!