Wikipad

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Android port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Sundown

Wikipad

Post by Sundown »

Has anyone tried the Wikipad Tablet?

I cannot get it to work with SCUMMVM. The controls don't work, and I can't map them.

Wikipad controls would be a really useful thing to have, on the android, with games like The Curse of Monkey Island, where you need that right mouse button. For me the game is kind of a pain without a proper mouse.
Sundown

Post by Sundown »

Guess not...
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

I looked up the Wikipad and this is based on Android 4.1:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipad

It should just work. What version of ScummVM did you try? (Note that the one in the store is v1.5.0 and outdated... blame the Google Play Store for this as it is causing our porter issues with submission of a new version)

Please try both the latest v1.7.0git development build for Android build from here:
http://buildbot.scummvm.org/builds.html

If that doesn't work, try the OUYA build instead of the vanilla Android:
http://buildbot.scummvm.org/snapshots/m ... latest.zip

Let us know what the result is...
Sundown

Post by Sundown »

Thank you very much. I will give those suggestions a try, and get back to you as soon as I've tested it.

It should be noted though, that the tablet DOES work, it's the Wikipad gamepad that does not seem to do anything.
Sundown

Post by Sundown »

OK. I tried the v1.7.0git version, and it would not even install. The only message was 'failed to install' and that was it.

I'm certainly not looking to replace my working operating system with an OUYA build.

So the answer seems to be that SCUMMVM does NOT work with the WikiPad Controller.

Sad... I was so hoping it would work.

Edit: Whoops! I thought you meant replacing the operating system! However, the OUYA version didn't work either. Wouldn't installl.
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

Sundown: I have given these instructions on several other posts... I really should get round to putting them on the wiki's Android page.

There are a few causes for this "failed to install" message... and due to Android's wonderfully lack of verbosity, I am unsure which applies here.

Firstly, you will need to uninstall all currently installed ScummVM versions including all plugins. You can not install a daily build alongside the stable release. In fact, I don't think you can install two versions of the same Android application anyway.

Secondly, in order to install the APKs from the daily build zip files, you will need a file manager. I recommend the free and open source Ghost Commander which can also unzip the zip files if downloaded directly to the device.

Thirdly, in order to install these _UNSIGNED_ daily builds, you will need to enable the option in the Android Settings for Unknown sources. This is usually under Settings->Security->Unknown Sources (Allow installation of apps from unknown sources). You can turn this off after you have installed both the main ScummVM apk and the required engine plugins. For COMI, that would be the SCUMM engine plugin.

Please let us know whether this has solved your problem.

Additionally, I think you may need the OUYA build to run on Tegra 3 CPU in the Wikipad... The normal Android build which is targeted at ARM may not be sufficient.
Sundown

Post by Sundown »

Thank you again.

I did enable the option for Unknown Sources, and I did uninstall the SCUMMVM apk, but I DIDN'T uninstall the plugins, so that may have been my problem.

I'll try again tonight.
Sundown

Post by Sundown »

Wait... exactly how do you uninstall the plugins? Don't they uninstall with the apk?
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

No.

Go to Settings->Apps. Select All at bottom, then tap all the apps which begin with ScummVM, then click Uninstall in the App description window. Repeat for all ScummVM and plugins. Then do the install of new APKs starting with the main ScummVM apk and then the relevant plugin apks.
Sundown

Post by Sundown »

OK. Done.
It worked a little. The left joystick will now move the pointer around, but a proper left/right button mouse click won't happen. The A button works a little, as it will flicker the selection coin, but that's it. The coin won't stay up, and the isn't a way to use/make any type of right mouse button click.
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

I assume you mean the OUYA build works for you?

COMI's UI is known to be tricky on most touchscreen ports like Android as the Right Click, Hold and Drag and Release is odd. Try another game instead and see if this is the cause.
Sundown

Post by Sundown »

Yes OUYA.

I really wanted this to work on CoMI. The other games don't need the Wikipad Controller, as they are simple point and click.

I was really hoping to emulate that right mouse button with the Wikipad Controller.

I guess I'll just have to save up for the Razor Blade Pro!

Thank you very much. You have been patient and very helpful.
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

Hmm... This may be a general issue with newer Android ie. 4.1:
http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=9865

But first, see the control notes here:
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Android#Touchscreen

You may want to experiment with holding down a button (A maybe as you said the coin flickered, along with a direction key to move mouse?