Can't Start ScummVM on WIN 98 SE system

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

CrisGer

Can't Start ScummVM on WIN 98 SE system

Post by CrisGer »

I am trying to add ScummVM to an old system WIN98 SE so that i can play older games for study.

I can't start ScummVM because i get this eror:

The SCUMMVM.EXE file is liked to missing export MSVCRT.DLL:_fstat64

C\Program Files\Scummvm.exe

A Device attached to the system is not functioning.

is there a special version for WIN 98SE?

i tried using VDMS sound but it says i have to run as admin and there is no such thing for WIN98SE so i hoped to use ScummVM to get the sound to work.thanks
envisaged0ne

Post by envisaged0ne »

Why do you want to run ScummVM on Win98? The purpose of ScummVM is so you can easily run old games through modern windows (xp, win7, etc). There should be no reason to have to use '98. If ScummVM can't run the game on modern windows, it won't be any better on a 9x system. Unless you're trying just for the challenge of making it work
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

We haven't supported Win98 in a while. Especially not since the translation code hit the master. Try running an older version of ScummVM. I know I did some development on WinME using around 0.10.0. Maybe try starting with 1.0.0 and going back from there.
Kirben

Post by Kirben »

Which ScummVM version are you trying?

The current language code should still work on older Windows versions.
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

Have tested this on my Win98 SE Box and I can confirm that both the v1.6.0 release build for Win32 and Kirben's daily builds exhibit this problem. The v1.5.0 release build is unaffected as are the buildbot win32 builds.

@CrisGer: I have no idea _why_ you are using Win98 SE... but until we locate the cause of this, please use the buildbot daily builds for Win32 from here:
http://buildbot.scummvm.org/builds.html

If you have any further issues, you may want to look at installing the KernelEx compatibility layer for Win9x which may help run newer Win32 applications:
http://kernelex.sourceforge.net/about/
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Kirben wrote:The current language code should still work on older Windows versions.
Could you fix this comment then, please?
CrisGer

Post by CrisGer »

Thank you all.

Firstly i use a wide range of systems for testing and studying older games from the very earliest Comomodore and Atari's..and WIN 98SE was and is an invaluable tool for my work. I am the Admin and Director of 3D World and Game Developers an international consortium of game developers, and researchers and we study the entire range of games esp the older ones.

I will try the other builds, thanks for confirming my error report, i have loved and used ScummVM for yeas as it is stable and makes playing and studying our library and archive of hundreds of games easier and helps our work flow a lot. thanks again for a wonderful project we always recommend ScummVM to all in our field.

Case of the Curious Condor might be a nice add on for your list someday:) i have a good capy if you need one :)

We have the KernelEX on some of our WIN98SE sets but we like to test and research with original equipment and original releases for the truest research environemnt. We also use WIN 95 the same way. thanks again all. Sorry i have not posted here for a while or kept up but work has mushroomed with the global explosion of game development esp from the Asian sector, and we have been swamped. I will try to keep in touch here and will do whatever I can to help support on going efforts.

UPDATE: We tried the daily build as suggested and it runs like a happy kitten with a bowl of milk. It is purring away with Indy/Atlantis, Kyrandia I and II, Monkey I and KGV5 thanks so much all. too bad Red Baron still wont launch :) they are about to do a new version too :)
Strangerke
ScummVM Developer

Post by Strangerke »

As you may guess, adding support to a game is a long and painful process. We know Case of the Cautious Condor (and Murder Makes Strange Deadfellow as well) but nothing is being done on those at the time I write those lines.

But who knows...
CrisGer

Post by CrisGer »

Totally understand. they are fun gamese and have a nice flair, just popped into my head as i was typing my reply. You all do a wonderful job on so much already..no need to worry about it, and thansk again :)
dr.zeissler

Post by dr.zeissler »

ScummVM 0.8.2 came with SDL.DLL 237.568 byte 06.02.2006 08:51
All later Versions came with another SDL file.
On my Laptop only the version that came with 0.8.2 can switch to the fullscreen mode. I checked out that newer versions of scumm work also with that old SDL version. Can I use that old SDL with newer Versions without issues, or should I stay with 0.8.2.

Thx
Doc
8BitAirwaves

Re: Can't Start ScummVM on WIN 98 SE system

Post by 8BitAirwaves »

I’m having the same issue on 95c and 98SE with the new Win9x/Win32 specific build (2.1.1). I placed the two .dll files it comes with (SDL and one other) in the Windows/system folder and I still get the missing msvcrt.dll error.
I downloaded a copy of the dll from who knows where, I was told a 98 cab file and that just lead to more missing dll dependency errors. It does seem 98 came with this dll in a cab file while 95 did not and at the moment I can’t get it to work on either but that makes me wonder/ask if ScummVM Win32 can run on 95. Can anyone give me some pointers? I’d be happy getting it to work in 95 or 98, it’s just a CF card swap for me. Thank you :)