ScummVM (01/23/06) don't want anymore on my TX

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Palm port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Herrminator

ScummVM (01/23/06) don't want anymore on my TX

Post by Herrminator »

This is now the second time I've got the same problem: After several days of working properly, ScummVM just flashes the GUI, then resets my TX. The first time I solved this problem by hard-resetting the device then restoring a backup - same applications installed. This time I don't really like to do this anymore, as I now have apps installed, that require a new registration code after a hard reset. And, it's not sure it won't happen again :(

Installed are: UDMH, DALauncher, MemUnfragment, warpSpeed (trial), Graffiti 1.999 + several (I think) not so critical apps. I tried to uninstall all of those - to no avail...

Any ideas?

TIA
Herrminator

Post by Herrminator »

Whoops, sorry, got the date wrong... Of course it's the January 23 version :oops:
catzi

Post by catzi »

I get someting similar on my TX. The front end program loads, flashes a few times then the TX resets. I did have it working at one point but have loaded a lot of sofware since then e.g. UDMH, Warpspeed, DateBk 6, Messageease, DALauncher, NeatFreak, DBCacheTool, Reco Backup.

Anyone know if there are known software conflicts with ScummVM? I'd rather not have to go through the hassle of hard restore then add an app at a time.
catzi

Post by catzi »

Forgot to add that I am also on the latest ARM version.
Herrminator

Post by Herrminator »

catzi wrote:I get someting similar on my TX. The front end program loads, flashes a few times then the TX resets. I did have it working at one point but have loaded a lot of sofware since then e.g. UDMH, Warpspeed, DateBk 6, Messageease, DALauncher, NeatFreak, DBCacheTool, Reco Backup.
It's exactly the same!
We have four of those in common: UDMH, warpSpeed (registered by now), DALauncher and a trial of RBackup. The first time it happened (before the hard reset), I think, none of those four were installed. Also deleting either or all of those doesn't help. And it definitely did run with UDMH, DALauncher and RBackup installed.

This is quite weird. Maybe it has to do with fragmentation :?: :?: :?:

Regards
Diederik

Post by Diederik »

I had this problem with a trial version of warpspeed. Even if it had no special setting for scummvm. Try uninstalling warpspeed completly, soft reset and try it. If it doesn't work then, try reinstalling scummvm (clean) and try again (leave warpspeed uninstalled). I use UDMH (registered) with ScummVM without any problems.

Good luck.
encephalon

Post by encephalon »

I had the same problem, which occoured as long as UDMH 5.3 was installed. Even if it was set to 'disable', it crashed my device. After uninstalling UDMH completely, scummvm works fine again.

TXHome also forced my ScummVM to reset, but at the point of starting the game not launching the UI.
Herrminator

Post by Herrminator »

Uninstalling warpSpeed didn't help, uninstalling UDMH is not an option by now. It's more or less required for a lot of other things (PalmPDF, LJP, ... even Blazer seems to be more stable with UDMH active). So I'm afraid ScummVM has to wait until it's compatible with other solutions. And, I'm quite sure, ScummVM did run before with UDMH installed...

EDIT: ...maybe not so sure. I just disabled UDMH, soft reset, changed UDMH db-type to 'appX', soft-reset again - et voila - ScummVM was working. I reversed those steps :( - as expected - crash on UI load. So we may have found a culprit.
Diederik

Post by Diederik »

On my TX all recent versions including the jan 23 version of ScummVM work perfectly in combination with UDMH 5.3

I did have a problem using warpspeed exactly as described (flashing gui before crash), not sure which version of UDMH I was running at that time.

Maybe it is a certain combo of programs that cause the problem?
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

It might be time to file a proper bug report at our bug tracker for this issue.

However, as long as not every UDMH user can consistently reproduce it, it might be difficult for chrilith, too ... :-/
catzi

Post by catzi »

Discovered that ScummVM doesn't like the Memunfragment utility that was loaded on my TX. Removed it and I can run Monkey Island!!

Not sure what real benefit I got from memunfragment anyway.