Free C++ compiler for Windows 8?

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

CaptainJei

Free C++ compiler for Windows 8?

Post by CaptainJei »

Could someone recommend a free C++ compiler that will work with Windows 8? It would be great if it included an IDE as well, since I'm extremely rusty.
Collector

Post by Collector »

VS Express?
CaptainJei

Post by CaptainJei »

I just tried VS Express, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to run programs after compiling, and the Help option isn't any help. It seems to me that Visual Studio's presets seem geared towards Windows Store apps.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

You need to set the output to be an executable. Then, you can launch the resulting binary with the little green arrow on the top (or just press F5)
Collector

Post by Collector »

CaptainJei wrote:I just tried VS Express, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to run programs after compiling, and the Help option isn't any help. It seems to me that Visual Studio's presets seem geared towards Windows Store apps.
If you use the compile the default will place it in the "\bin\Release" folder. If press the green arrow that md5 mentioned, it will compile a debug build and launch it. You will find it in "\bin\Debug".