Why is the ScummVM core isn't a separate project?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

LunaVorax

Why is the ScummVM core isn't a separate project?

Post by LunaVorax »

Hello,

As the title says, I was wondering why the ScummVM code wasn't a separate project from the game engines.
Considering that the ScummVM core is also used by ResidualVM and that devs from both project have troubles commiting to ScummVM patches for ResidualVM (and vice-versa), wouldn't it be a better idea to have a centralized core and separated game engines?

I hope I expressed myself clearly, let me know if not.

For the grumpy coder, my goal is just to have a answer from a technical point of view. This question poped in my head, and since I don't have the necessary technical knowledge or skills, I have no opinion about it.
I am not, by any means, implying that ScummVM or ResidualVM are doing things wrong or that my question is the way to go for both projects.

Thank you all in advance for your answers.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

This has been on our TODO list for years, and there is even an Open Task for it. Just there is nobody to do the job.

Eugene
fuzzie
ScummVM Developer

Re: Why is the ScummVM core isn't a separate project?

Post by fuzzie »

LunaVorax wrote:wouldn't it be a better idea to have a centralized core and separated game engines?
Some more work on separating the game engines would be great for non-adventure-game 2D game projects (as sev said it's been on our TODO for years, and it is a lot better than it was a few years ago thanks to things like the configure.engines split) but probably not very useful for ResidualVM, since they have a lot of modifications to the backends due to the 2D/3D split.