Is this fan game for real?

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Davie Jones

Is this fan game for real?

Post by Davie Jones »

Look at what i have found a half minute ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=or3W0Wuyfuc

Released at 1.05.13 so it should not be a april fools joke, shouldn't it?
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Read the description:
This is a little demo I created to show the capabilities of ScummGEN, a tool used to generate SCUMM-compatible games (discontinued). After ripping the Fate of Atlantis sprites, menus, fonts, all of these were put together to form this demo.
Davie Jones

Post by Davie Jones »

i did.
i also read the "ingame text" at 2:50.

"Be ready to experience The Call of Thunder an upcoming authentic old-school game..."

Ah ... yes before anybody tells me that those projects are likely to fail/vanish/become abandoned (and what not else)

i consider it just "intressting"! Be sure i will not hold my breath for it.
OmerMor
Got a warning

Post by OmerMor »

It appears to be real.
The game source can be found here: https://code.google.com/p/scummgen-test ... wse/trunk/

However, the last commit was done almost 3 years ago.
JenniBee

Post by JenniBee »

I finally got myself familiarized with ScummGen by polishing up Indiana Jones and the Call of Thunder.

The original team (Dominik Haslinger, Jens Doblies and Sebastien Ronsse) did the majority of the work. It was originally intended to be a much longer game, but it was cancelled. I finished up the ice cavern sequence so that it could be released as a completely playable game as I thought it would be a shame if no one got to play it. Their sourcecode was playable up to the point where you complete the mechanism in the cavern.

Here are the changes and fixes that I made to that source code:

-Replaced LucasArts logo with a ScummGen logo.
-Made a few grammar corrections to the original script.
-Created icons for inventory items that lacked them (all instances of the stones and the gas can).
-Programmed an if/then statement regarding the gas can that was referenced but not implemented in the source.
-Fixed the mechanism puzzle to require both objects, as before it was possible to complete it with only one object.
-Added dialog to facilitate the change in the mechanism puzzle.
-Fixed the lighting so that the cavern stays lit when you move to the cavern entrance and back.
-Enabled the usage of the item used to exit the cavern, as referenced but not implemented in the source.
-Changed description of the macguffin as it was originally used as a joke related to the game being unfinished (but kept it humourous to suit the tone of the original).
-Added dialog necessary for the ending sequence.
-Added an ending screen.

You can download it at my itch.io page if you want to try it out. It includes the sourcecode. It doesn't include an executable though, as it needs ScummVM in order to run (and I figured I'd cut out the middle man and just let people run ScummVM on whatever system they wish to run it on). It's detected in ScummVM as Day of the Tentacle.