LucasArts officially closed

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

scoriae

LucasArts officially closed

Post by scoriae »

Disney fired over 150 people today, cancled both projects, and shuttered LucasArts today.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/04/03/disne ... lucasarts/

I can't help but feel they only lasted this long due to Star Wars though, so it is hard to feel too bad. The LucasArts that I grew up with was dead a long time ago.

edit: should have posted this in the junkyard. Please move =) Thanks.
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

I saw this news yesterday and was wondering if it meant it was more or less likely that Ron Gilbert will be able to get the rights to Monkey Island back.
Bobbin

Post by Bobbin »

I really hope they will just sell IPs they don't need anymore. The only sad thing about all this is that we probably won't see more Special Editions, I really liked what they did with Monkey Island 1+2. I was hoping for a remade Indiana Jones III or maybe even Zak McKracken (one can dream).
somaen
ScummVM Developer

Post by somaen »

Bobbin wrote:I really hope they will just sell IPs they don't need anymore.
Disney? Selling IP? They're more known for vaulting their IPs a half generation at a time. On the upside, they sometime tend towards re-releases of atleast their movies. (Lion King 3D for instance). Sadly I think the monetization possibilities for much of the LucasArts-IP are too low, unless they can find a way to fit it cheaply into webgames/phonegames.
Bobbin

Post by Bobbin »

I don't really think that an IP like Aladdin can be compared to Zak McKracken. Maybe they want to clean up and getting rid of everything non-Star Wars after shutting down LucasArts? Although I have to admit - my expectations are low.
Weskke7321

Post by Weskke7321 »

That was a very bad move of DISNEY!
Lucasarts made a lot of good games!
Freddo

Post by Freddo »

Weskke7321 wrote:That was a very bad move of DISNEY!
Lucasarts made a lot of good games!
True, I suppose, but how long has it been since they made the last good game? Some people would say Monkey Island 4, I suppose, but for me it's Grim Fandango.

Force Unleashed was quite a bit worse than Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy by Raven Software and their Lucidity was horrible (although I did love the title song).

It's sad though, Lucasarts used to make a lot of absolutely brilliant games back in the 90s, but those days (not to mention the employees that made those brilliant games), are long gone.
CaptainJei

Post by CaptainJei »

I'd say Monkey Island 4 was their last GOOD game (not great, but still good if you ask me), but I'll also admit to liking the two Knights of the Old Republic games.
Freddo

Post by Freddo »

CaptainJei wrote:I'd say Monkey Island 4 was their last GOOD game (not great, but still good if you ask me), but I'll also admit to liking the two Knights of the Old Republic games.
Yeah, so do I :)

But neither was developed by Lucasarts, instead the first Knights of the Old Republic was developed by Bioware and the second by Obsidian Entertainment.
CaptainJei

Post by CaptainJei »

You know, you're right! I guess maybe that's how they were able to be both good and Star Wars games at the same time...
Lyrina

Post by Lyrina »

Somehow its sad, LA got booted. On the other Hand... Well, all they did in the last Years was Star Wars. I hoped for many Years, LA will return to their Roots, creating more P&C Adventures... :-(

RIP LA
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

Lyrina wrote:Well, all they did in the last Years was Star Wars.
Don't forget the Monkey Island special editions. I wish, they did special editions for more of their old adventures, especially the silent ones (Loom too, since the CD was a cut down version).
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

LogicDeLuxe wrote:Don't forget the Monkey Island special editions. I wish, they did special editions for more of their old adventures, especially the silent ones (Loom too, since the CD was a cut down version).
Actually, I try to forget them :P