WME: Gathering information on games.

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

somaen
ScummVM Developer

WME: Gathering information on games.

Post by somaen »

I just took some time to update the wiki about which games that use WME:
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Wintermute/Games

If anyone wants to help out, I'd love to get some more information on the games, especially the untested category. Particularly:
* What versions of them exist?
* Do they detect as wmefan-something? (Then please send me the detection-data for it, which will be output in the console).
* Release-dates?
* Authors? (This is mostly already available for most games, at the WME wiki, so not as important as the rest, but good for verification)
* Do they start at all?
* Do they crash?

If there are games missing on those lists (i.e. games I haven't heard of yet), then feel free to tell me about those too.

If you pick up one of those games (Some of the commercial ones are available to buy in digital form, i.e. East Side Story)

A decent place to start is:
http://res.dead-code.org/doku.php/games:start for finding the games.

I must say that at this point I have no specific plans for any of the untested games, but gathering information on their current state is a first step.

Please beware that I do NOT accept bug reports for the untested games at this point, unless I explicitly ask you to file reports on specific bugs.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

What about those

The Game that takes place on a Cruise Ship
The Interview
Cubert Badbone, P.I.

all to be found on Deirda's site

With the long list of (also freeware) games on this site i'm not sure what is a no-go and what would work.
somaen
ScummVM Developer

Post by somaen »

Are those games verified to be using WME? (The Deirdra-ones?)

I`m mostly interested in knowing what works and what doesn`t right now, as exhaustively testing the WME-games-page takes quite a bit of time. And so any help is much appreciated.

EDIT: But also, I'm interested in information on games NOT listed on that page as well, thus the listings of Author/Release-date (the latter is missing on the WME Wiki).
JenniBee

Post by JenniBee »

Raziel wrote:The Game that takes place on a Cruise Ship
The Interview
Cubert Badbone, P.I.
Those are made with SLUDGE.
JenniBee

Post by JenniBee »

Actual Destination
The authors are Marcus Grönskog and Adam Storhed. The release date, according to the data in the zipfile, is November 3, 2009.

As I said in the WME testing thread, this works fine (tested with ScummVM Win32 1.7.0git485-g8672139) without any ScummVM related issues. There's an issue where the both characters move their mouths at the same time whenever either one of them are speaking, but that exists in the original, so it's not a ScummVM issue.

The Dead City
The author is NiHiLiS Games. The website linked on the WME Games page is dead, but with a quick Google search, I found that it has moved here. According to that page, the game was released on June 21, 2004.

I tested this with ScummVM Win32 1.7.0git485-g8672139, and found a major issue that prevents it from being completable. At the scene at the bridge, there seems to be some major transparency issues, as pretty much the entire scene is displayed as solid pink. This seems to mess with the game's object detection, as the entire scene is displayed as "water", making it impossible to progress beyond this point.

I uploaded a screenshot showing this problem here.
JenniBee

Post by JenniBee »

Wilma Tetris
The authors are Off Studio and Dead:Code. The release date, according to the game's announcement post is December 8, 2003.

This one's normally distributed as an EXE, and won't detect in ScummVM. However, I recompiled it from the source (the source is available here) so that it included a data.dcp file, and it detected just fine as wmefan-wtetris-win and displays as Wilma Tetris (fangame) (Windows) (the recompiled version with data.dcp can be found here).

It runs pretty much perfectly (tested with ScummVM Win32 1.7.0git543-gf023321). The only little higgle is that the keys are different in ScummVM (the keys are as they should be in the recompiled exe, so it seems to not be an issue arising from my recompilation). Instead of the arrow keys, it seems the keys are as follows:

d=left
f=right
b=down
space=rotate

The md5 data: {"data.dcp", 0, "2b1095c6353c4a5f990e93e51819985b", 2780092},

Reversion: The Escape
The author is 3f interactivo. According to the blog on that site, the release date was May 5, 2012.

I played through version 1.3 (English) with ScummVM Win32 1.7.0git543-gf023321. It runs fine with no issues (except for slow movies and slow animations) right up until you finish the last puzzle. Then ScummVM crashes (back to Windows) before the final scene begins (the last messages displayed are WARNING: Unknown marker C2, skipping 15 bytes! and WARNING: JPEG: Invalid component!).

Reversion: The Meeting
As before, the author is 3f interactivo. The release date was March 5, 2013.

With ScummVM Win32 1.7.0git543-gf023321, it crashes at startup (into ScummVM's debug console) with the message: ERROR: StringUtil::Ut#8ToWide - WideString not supported yet!

Trader of Stories
It was created by Marek Rudowski. According to that blog, it was released on June 12, 2009.

I couldn't get it to detect (something's up with my build of ScummVM, since it doesn't even detect the WME games I tried earlier today), but I cheated and pointed a pre-existing WME entry to the game's folder.

It's playable up to the point where you click on the "to the wiseman", then it crashes (back to Windows). The last message displayed before the crash is the same as Reversion: The Meeting (WARNING: Unknown marker C2, skipping 15 bytes! and WARNING: JPEG: Invalid component!).

The md5 data: {"data.dcp", 0, "0a0b51191636cc8ead89b905281c3218", 40401902},
somaen
ScummVM Developer

Post by somaen »

The wiki has been updated. (And the detection should work again).