Gabriel Knight: what is needed to be supported

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

secreto

Gabriel Knight: what is needed to be supported

Post by secreto »

Hello great community, I just want to know, simple and specificly if posible, what is needed to do to finally support Gabriel Knight: Sins Of The Fathers. It's really a pity that is almost complete but relegated.

I hope someone had the time and knowdledge to finish it.

Well anyway, this is a good project and here are many good people who have done enormous work, I thank you all for your great contribution to the world :wink:
Strangerke
ScummVM Developer

Post by Strangerke »

Sadly, we never announce support date for the simple reason we ignore them: when it's ready and everybody agrees, we announce support.

Currently, the engine needs some more work in order to fully support GK. It may come fast or not, I can tell. But we just released v1.6.0, so most likely you'll have to wait 6-9 months in order to see if it's available in the next stable release...
secreto

Post by secreto »

Thank you very much for your kind response :) but I did not mean when... but WHAT work
Strangerke wrote: Currently, the engine needs some more work in order to fully support GK.
Example: the scaling bug, general work on SCI engine, etc.?

Hope I'm not bothering much, and thank you again for your patience and work
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Loads of work, really

We need to rewrite parts the SCI32 graphics code to be closer to the original. Right now, large parts of it are based on guesswork, which causes some of the graphical glitches you're experiencing.

This includes the following kernel functions (at least for GK1, PQ4 and QFG4):
- kFrameOut, as well as the rest of the Plane and ScreenItem manipulation kernel functions in frameout.cpp
- the scaling code
- kCantBeHere (for pathfinding)
- kSetShowStyle (for scene transitions)
- kEditText (for the original save/load dialogs)
- kRemapColors subops 3, 4 and 5 (used mainly in PQ4 and QFG4)
- kPalCycle (used rarely, e.g. for the asynchronous palette animations, e.g. in the Bayou in GK1)
- kPalVary, subops 7 and 8 (used rarely, e.g. when showing the exterior of Schloss Ritter in GK1)

These are the main ones I can think of. There might be others, too
secreto

Post by secreto »

Wow thanks. I understand now. A lot of work to do, but you did very much also.

Well it's time will come one day, meanwhile Good Luck with
The Neverhood :wink:
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

md5 wrote:These are the main ones I can think of. There might be others, too
kOnMe isn't quite complete either. And there's glitches with the high-res mode code.
CaptainJei

Post by CaptainJei »

Considering what needs to done, it plays surprisingly well already, though there're a couple of issues that would probably be showstoppers for first-time players.