Raspberry Pi Joystick

Discussion about other and unofficial ports of ScummVM

Moderator: ScummVM Team

JoyBuzzer

Raspberry Pi Joystick

Post by JoyBuzzer »

I am not sure how to add joystick support to my rpi's scummvm. Any help would be appreciated.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Joystick support? Can you be more specific? What kind of devices are you referring to? If you're talking about regular joysticks, we don't really support them, they're quite cumbersome for playing adventure games
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

If your joystick is appearing as a standard Linux Joystick device i.e. if /dev/input/js0 exists, then it should be available via SDL: http://www.libsdl.org/docs/html/joystick.html and thus ScummVM can use it.

However as md5 indicated, Joysticks are a bit cumbersome for adventure games so we don't enable them by default. If you read section 5.1 of the README, to enable them, you need to pass the command line option --joystick to scummvm (Optionally this takes the number of the joystick i.e. if you have several devices js0, js1 etc.)

tl;dr: Assuming that you are using a USB Joypad/stick or an Analogue joystick via a USB Gameport on your RPi, try running "scummvm --joystick" and see if this then works...
JoyBuzzer

Post by JoyBuzzer »

Thanks. I added "joystick_num=0" to .scummvmrc and got my usb joystick controller to work in my retropie build. I know the controller is no ideal but I am trying to operate my retropie with my controller as much as possible. Thanks again.
Jez_Gafys

Post by Jez_Gafys »

hmm weird my xbox 360 pads (wireless) work fine in the scumm launcher and games using the pi I didn't have to do any thing they just work (using ES).
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ga ... ontrollers

Those controllers appear as evdev event devices for X Windows, so will appear as a Mouse, rather than a Joystick to libSDL and thus ScummVM.