Compressing flac to ogg (scummvm talkies)

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

I'm confused. Doesn't the installer that turns MISE into a ScummVM-ready game already encode the original WMA's to FLAC or OGG? It's been so long since I've used it I can't remember.

You are correct, though. The resulting sound files do sound lower quality now that I remember. Maybe it's a limitation of the SOU format? Also, the installer was made to create a DOS version as well which wouldn't work with 44.1KHz 16-bit audio.
Jellby

Post by Jellby »

MusicallyInspired wrote:I'm confused. Doesn't the installer that turns MISE into a ScummVM-ready game already encode the original WMA's to FLAC or OGG? It's been so long since I've used it I can't remember.
Yes, it creates FLAC or OGG, and I can create both and store both for the future. But that's redundant, and what if later I want the OGG with different settings (maybe to get a smaller filesize, or a better quality, or mono...)? Or what if next year a new super-great format is supported by ScummVM?

P.S. This whole topic is not critical, anyway. I just thought it could be convenient to be able to store the FLAC and get the other versions from it. Even for other games, storing the FLAC could be more efficient than storing the original monster.sou, if it were possible to re-create the monster.sou from the FLAC (being lossless, it should be possible)
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

Ah, I see. Yeah, that is a predicament I guess.
Bloodbat

Post by Bloodbat »

Maybe you could (source code availability permitting) use the already available patch code to write your own version that writes only the wmas to disk for storage in a 7zip file or something, and reinjects them, compressed as you please, into a monster.so<someformat> at a later time.
Jellby

Post by Jellby »

Yes, but it might be easier to modify the compress_scummvm_sou code to accept FLAC as input :D
Bloodbat

Post by Bloodbat »

True, that's even better :D