Moderator: ScummVM Team

emil441b

scummvm for windows surface / windows rt

Post by emil441b »

Will there ever be scummvm for Windows surface/Windows rt???[/b][/u]
Wop

Post by Wop »

Seconded.
The windows version of course works, but it lacks the multitouch support of the android port (at least I failed to find it). Some form of hover mode would be sufficient.
Parhelion

Post by Parhelion »

The Windows version works? I would have thought it wouldn't considering the Surface doesn't support standard Windows software.

I'm thinking about buying a Surface, but one of the things I've been watching for is to see if anyone develops a port of ScummVM for Windows RT and if it works without some sort of jailbreaking.
Wop

Post by Wop »

Sorry, my mistake. I can't confirm ScummVM works on Windows RT.
I wasn't aware that Windows RT was something else than just a Windows 8 upgrade. I myself own a common tablet running Windows 8 and ScummVM works fine.
The only problem are the controls as the windows version is made to be used with mouse and keyboard.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Windows RT is a rewritten version of Windows 8 so that it works on an ARM. It is incompatible with any other version of Windows, as it runs on a completely different processor architecture, and it follows the Apple paradigm: it can only run certified software obtained from the Windows Store, similar to iPhones/iPads running software from the App Store.

Here's some information:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_RT
and a Slashdot article:
http://mobile.slashdot.org/story/12/10/ ... windows-rt

This OS is still too new (it was released 3 days ago). We still don't know much about its SDK, there isn't any available toolchain to compile software for it yet, and it is not yet known if it can be jailbroken.

So... the best thing to do at the moment is have patience and wait until for further development.
curlycarlos

Post by curlycarlos »

I'd just like to add my support for this! I'd love to have a ScummVM port for my Surface.
relexx

Post by relexx »

If anybody is actually going to work on a Windows 8-Version of ScummVM, I will be willing to pay for a Win8 developer account to publish the app to the store. :!:
I'm serious. There's just nothing more brilliant than ScummVM on this planet. Thank you for let me playing my beloved games once and once again. :)
bartekxyz

Post by bartekxyz »

I'm also willing to donate, seriously.
jezz

Post by jezz »

This can't easily be started until SDL is ported over to WinRT. If you want to sponsor someone, it would probably be this guy: http://sdl.5483.n7.nabble.com/Windows-R ... 32747.html.

On the bright side, at least the Windows Store doesn't have the draconian no-interpreters policy the Apple App Store has.
AerisHime

Post by AerisHime »

After I have been playing some old SNES games for a while on a RT SNES emulator, I can only add myself to the list of people who'd love to see ScummVM on RT. Although it would most likely require quite some rewriting, but with the current resources available (SDK, VSExpress for W8 / WP8).

The freeware games should be able to get through the certification process - after all, they are freeware games.

And as for the other titles... hm. Maybe something could be worked out with the license holders? I can only speak for myself, but I'd pay for some of the games :) Preparing the engine and releasing the non-freeware titles individually could be an option, too. Actually I think I'd even prefer that and it would make things like Settings Roaming a bit easier... :)
AerisHime

Post by AerisHime »

Wop wrote:Sorry, my mistake. I can't confirm ScummVM works on Windows RT.
I wasn't aware that Windows RT was something else than just a Windows 8 upgrade. I myself own a common tablet running Windows 8 and ScummVM works fine.
The only problem are the controls as the windows version is made to be used with mouse and keyboard.
The RT currently only works with apps that can be installed through the store, which require to go through the certification process beforehand. And that would require some design reconsideration, although looking at Snes8x it should be possible to handle.
So, instead of a mere port it takes some design thinking and then the respective implementation.

Now, as the code is openly available - as well as the respective coding tools for WinRT apps (Visual Studio Express for Windows 8), surely with some group effort an RT version could come to life? :) My C++ skills have wandered off to some exotic place quite a while ago, otherwise I would have loved to have a look at it, too...
grunger106

Post by grunger106 »

I'll also love to see ScummVM on Windows RT - Just got a surface and would love to play some MI on it!
bartekxyz

Post by bartekxyz »

Since Windows RT was jailbroken and now running desktop apps is possible, there are some folks over xda who port apps from regular windows to RT. There is even somebody working on ScummVM.

Unfortunately those are regular desktop apps, so mouse+keyboard combo is required, no touch controls and fancy stuff.
weetobix

Post by weetobix »

I would sell my first born for an rt port!
My wife would understand...
grunger106

Post by grunger106 »

Any news on the possibility?