Kinda old topic about input method.

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's iPhone port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

lucasrules

Kinda old topic about input method.

Post by lucasrules »

Hello people. I'm new to make any topic here and I love what you developers have done so far on ScummVM.

A month ago, I broke jail of my iPhone 3GS just for ScummVM iPhone port. And of course, I ran into CMI(Curse of Monkey Island) and Full Throttle UI problem. It is still playable, but I can't say it is more comfortable than android version.
I played CMI on android prior to iOS and I had no problem playing it since it has exactly same sense as commonly used notebook's touchpad. After when I played it on my iPhone, I had to read readme(of course you should read it yet annoying) and found a way to make it direct input mode, virtual touchpad mode, virtual cursor with direct input mode, ETC..

I really appreciate whom made iPhone port happened and I feel how he must had been in agony to make those input methods(if he did not, I don't think there would be so many input methods like now). Thank you dev guys.

I just want to put another vote for how comfort conventional(?at least to my samsung note book) touchpad mode is useful.

tap on and off is like a click away.
tap on and off and on still is like mouse button pushed.
tap on and off and on and off(simply double tap away) is like double click away.
tap on and off and on and off and on and off(triple tap away) is like triple click away.

With this logic we can make two input in one tap like tap and hold and tap away. So within two taps, we can expect to program four input methods.

I don't know about programming but I think you can make timer event when tap in event occurs and wait for like 250ms for another event afterward of tap out. If tap out is not occured program something like holding mouse button or something. Or even right click.
As I play most of Scumm games, I think tap and hold for more than 250mb could be used as right click and double tap away as skip event and double click itself. If not possible to map two thing in one input, then triple tap away could be good to skip events. Actually android version using tap and hold for about 500ms is right click but I found it fails me more often than not annoying.
If those touchpad methods are not patent pending like apple making, I think it is the best way for Scumm games and Beneath a steel sky.

I believe who read this knows better than me and I might have said too much. I'm just hoping this helps dev guys to decide which input mode they'll use in further update as a vote.

Lastly, thank you for your wonderful works here and I hope for your best.

p.s. As you can see, English is not my primary language.
p.s.2 I broke my 3GS two weeks ago(really broken, not from jail) and I'm using android device now. :|