Although it has already been requested... (here's hoping)

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

db92

Although it has already been requested... (here's hoping)

Post by db92 »

i assume toonstruck can be supported now. as far as i know, toonstruck uses the engine of "The Legend Of Kyrandia". since kyra is now supported is it possible that toonstruck could be just as well implemented? i'd be willing to donate a copy of toonstruck if i am to see it supported someday. (when i say copy i dont mean a pirated copy :P)
clem

Post by clem »

while the script itself might be similar, the rest of the game would need to be RE'd from scratch (also note that neither HoF nor Malcolm are supported, and those games are more similar to kyra than Toonstruck) - plus the problem of the proprietary videos for Toonstruck afaik

in the meantime you could start a toonstruck module yourself :-)
john_doe
ScummVM Developer

Post by john_doe »

I started REing Toonstruck a while ago but haven't been working on it recently (mostly due to a lack of time).
TS doesn't use many videos so they probably could be skipped for now until more is known in the "Smacker matter" :)
Data-wise, I can decompress all compressed data and have implemented the routines in C++. Also, the sound decoding algorithms are known. Still, it will take some time for the first screens to show up in ScummVM :)
I mainly have to figure out the sprite loading stuff as it uses C++ (i.e. objects) which I'm not that good at understanding from the disassembly alone (at least not yet, hehe).
The scripting engine and the resource file stuff is also shared with the Kyrandia engine, and I think the pathfinding routines are similar, too.
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

It's great to hear some effort is being done to reverse engineer Toonstruck - it's one of my all time favourite games, and it'd be great to see it added to ScummVM.

It's certainly a pity that it never sold all that well, what with the crappy box art that made it look like a kids game. I would have loved to see a sequel to it.
db92

Post by db92 »

:S toonstruck didnt use smacker :S at least as far as i can remember. whatever,
1st off)dream master- too bad a sequel wont be out since burst closed its doors a while ago.
2) john_doe- i recently pmed u about progress and stuff, hope u can do something about toonstruck's implemention.
3) clem- how do ya mean start a toonstruck module? :P
clem

Post by clem »

db92 wrote:3) clem- how do ya mean start a toonstruck module? :P
more or less add support for Toonstruck to ScummVM, then submit it when you're ready (just couldn't resist suggesting that, heh)
db92

Post by db92 »

nah, im too noobish to do such stuff. if i knew how to do that i wouldve done it already :)