curse of mi problem

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Android port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

anthony001

curse of mi problem

Post by anthony001 »

Hi guys, i have a problem wherein i selected te dir of the game but it still says cannot find the game.
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Post by tsoliman »

Did you install the right plugin? It is a separate package. It is the SCUMM engine plugin.
fabio

Post by fabio »

Why the Android ScummVM is splitted with so many plugins? Would not be possible to provide a single binary?

Thanks!
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Post by tsoliman »

Because some devices don't have enough memory.
fuzzie
ScummVM Developer

Post by fuzzie »

Yeah, it's because on older Android versions (pre-2.3 and buggy unofficial 2.3 builds) the whole binary+plugins has to fit in the internal memory, and a monolithic build is almost 20mb at this point.

Judging by the current Google Play statistics, we can probably safely ignore that group of users by the time of the next release, though.

A potentially annoying problem for the future is that an apk containing builds for arm+armv7+mips+x86 is more than 40mb, and Google limit apk files on Google Play to 50mb maximum, and don't allow per-architecture apk files. But in the worst case, we can provide a small number of plugin packs.
fabio

Post by fabio »

fuzzie wrote:Yeah, it's because on older Android versions (pre-2.3 and buggy unofficial 2.3 builds) the whole binary+plugins has to fit in the internal memory, and a monolithic build is almost 20mb at this point.

Judging by the current Google Play statistics, we can probably safely ignore that group of users by the time of the next release, though.

A potentially annoying problem for the future is that an apk containing builds for arm+armv7+mips+x86 is more than 40mb, and Google limit apk files on Google Play to 50mb maximum, and don't allow per-architecture apk files. But in the worst case, we can provide a small number of plugin packs.
What about something like UPX? At a rapid Google search however I didn't find an Android executable compressor, dunno if it's available.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

fabio wrote:What about something like UPX? At a rapid Google search however I didn't find an Android executable compressor, dunno if it's available.
UPX and similar executable compressors will probably not help in this case, as the executable will need to be uncompressed in memory anyway