Smacker video

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Dashcloud

Smacker video

Post by Dashcloud »

As of today, the CVS version of FFMPEG can now play Smacker video/audio. I've tried it out, and it successfully plays the 3 videos that accompany the BS1 demo (audio at very beginning and very end is glitchy, but otherwise fine.)

I know in the past the video had been re-encoded because the people behind Smacker wouldn't open up the format, and had asked for it not to be reverse engineered.

I'm not sure if the project can actually legally play Smacker video/audio, but I thought it was important to let the SCUMMVM team know this.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

We were aware of the development of the revere engineered smacker codecs, and that they hit FFMPEG CVS.

However, at this time, using this is no option for us. We will wait some time (months) to see how this develops. If things seem safe (no lawsuites etc.), we will consider using FFMPEG as an optional external dependency.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

AFAIK we were explicitely asked by Revolution to not add Smacker support to Sword engines.

Eugene
Ender
Retired

Post by Ender »

Actually, at the time we were only asked by Smacker not to include support, as at the time reverse engineering was a consideration.

However, we honoured Rad Game Tools request NOT to reverse engineer it because Revolution often uses their tools. Obviously, for Revolutions sake, we did not want to cause any problems.

As Fingolfin said, waiting is the only approach. Ideally, we would also have some statement from Rad indicating they accept our use of it, since the specifications have (essentially, if not technically) been made available in the public domain.

Although I'm not quite prepared to e-mail them yet, as I'm sure they will become aware of it in due time and form an opinion on it at that stage :)

PPS. Can you tell I've been talking to lawyers too much lately? :roll:
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Ender wrote:Although I'm not quite prepared to e-mail them yet, as I'm sure they will become aware of it in due time and form an opinion on it at that stage :)
No way. Let me beg you not to even consider doing any steps now, only when at least a half year will pass after first ffmpeg release with smacker support. I.e. we have to make sure that everything is quiet and peaceful.

Eugene
Ender
Retired

Post by Ender »

Of course! That was the meaning of the above quote. I'm not about to cause trouble this early on. :)
sev wrote: No way. Let me beg you not to even consider doing any steps now, only when at least a half year will pass after first ffmpeg release with smacker support. I.e. we have to make sure that everything is quiet and peaceful.

Eugene