iPad port

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's iPhone port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

You can't actually launch GUI apps from the command line anymore.

However, you should be able to see something from the log file in: /var/mobile/.scummvm.log
Mutajon

Post by Mutajon »

Vinterstum wrote:You can't actually launch GUI apps from the command line anymore.

However, you should be able to see something from the log file in: /var/mobile/.scummvm.log
Hey again,

Looking through the scummvm.log file all I could find is a dry description of my (reapeted) attempts to run "I have no mouth and I must scream" (ihnm) on the iPad. No apparent error log... Here's the lines
scummvm.log wrote: User picked target 'ihnm' (gameid 'saga')...
Looking for a plugin supporting this gameid... Saga engine [ITE, IHNM]
Starting 'SAGA Engine game'
User picked target 'ihnm' (gameid 'saga')...

Does this mean anything to you guys? Can you see something wrong here? Is saga the right gameid?

Thanks for any assistance.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Mutajon wrote:Does this mean anything to you guys? Can you see something wrong here? Is saga the right gameid?
Yes, saga is the right gameid, but it does not really mean anything.

First, did you try to run the game on your desktop computer? Does it crash there? If it crashes, run scummvm with -d9, and provide the output.

Second, if it runs well on the desktop but crashes on iPad, then do the following: locate scummvm.ini file on iPad, open it in some text editor, and in the first section [scummvm] add line "debuglevel=9" (without the quotes). Then start the game and provide contents of scummvm.log, not everything as it could be big, but just 5 last lines.

Eugene
Mutajon

Post by Mutajon »

Thanks for the quick reply. However, I can't seem to find the scummvm.ini file - It's not in the scummvm app directory (/private/var/mobile/Library/ScummVM), nor is it in the var/mobile or where I upload my games to (/private/var/mobile/Scumm), nor inside the ihnm directory itself...

Any ideas on where else I should look for it?
(I can't find a search option in the fillzila program)

Thanks for all the help!

P.S
Yes, I've tried to run the game for the comp desktop with the same game files and it runs fine.
Mutajon

Post by Mutajon »

Help? Anyone?
chrislu

Post by chrislu »

hi,
because the urbanfanatics cydia repository seems down i installed the latest svn build (1.3.0svn52798) on my ipad. for this i first installed the 1.1.1 iphone version deb package through cydia autoinstall. then i copied the contents of the svn build to the /Applications/ScummVM directory on the device using iPhoneBrowser. after restarting the device two times (no idea why 2x) the ipad icon (72x72px) showed up and scummvm worked in iPad mode.

i was able to play monkey 1 and 2 (dos, cd) and indy 3(dos, vga), but monkey 2 (dos), indy 4(dos,cd,speech), dott(dos,cd) and sam n max (dos,cd) crash the app to the springboard. is there a more stable build i can install which runs on the ipad with high quality scaling?

-chris
HunterZ

Post by HunterZ »

chrislu wrote:hi,
because the urbanfanatics cydia repository seems down i installed the latest svn build (1.3.0svn52798) on my ipad. for this i first installed the 1.1.1 iphone version deb package through cydia autoinstall. then i copied the contents of the svn build to the /Applications/ScummVM directory on the device using iPhoneBrowser. after restarting the device two times (no idea why 2x) the ipad icon (72x72px) showed up and scummvm worked in iPad mode.

i was able to play monkey 1 and 2 (dos, cd) and indy 3(dos, vga), but monkey 2 (dos), indy 4(dos,cd,speech), dott(dos,cd) and sam n max (dos,cd) crash the app to the springboard. is there a more stable build i can install which runs on the ipad with high quality scaling?

-chris
Maybe this will help? http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php ... ght=#60391
chrislu

Post by chrislu »

HunterZ wrote:Maybe this will help? http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php ... ght=#60391
thank you, that helped! ;)

-chris
chrislu

Post by chrislu »

ok, I found another bug in the build mentioned initially by me.

the old adventures using a 320x200 resolution are displayed letterboxed as their aspect ratio does not match the ipads (although they were played on 4:3 displays in the old days). now the problem is when in this letterboxed mode the touch input is taken from the full display and is directly applied to the letterbox area. this leads to non 1:1 touch input to cross hair mapping. there is always a small vertical offset on the top and bottom of the letterbox area.

the touch input has to be scaled or offset correctly for the letterbox mode.

regards
-chris
chrislu

Post by chrislu »

the buildbot did not update the iPhone version of ScummVM since the 27th of September.
chrislu

Post by chrislu »

ok, today it updated it.

nice to have the GUI at the native resolution, BUT it is much more apparent that there is a serious cursor offset at the top and bottom in touch-screen mode. almost unusable. at my iPad at the bottom and top it is around 1.5cm!

regards
-chris
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

chrislu wrote:ok, today it updated it.

nice to have the GUI at the native resolution, BUT it is much more apparent that there is a serious cursor offset at the top and bottom in touch-screen mode. almost unusable. at my iPad at the bottom and top it is around 1.5cm!

regards
-chris
The cursor issue is new, the new native resolution code is very much WIP :) (which is why it won't be in release 1.2.0).
GalaadLD

Post by GalaadLD »

Anyone knows how can I whistle up the Curse of Monkey Island's coin menu to iPad 2?? It dispair me and I don't see anybody complain about it. Anyone have any solution or tip??