Kings Quest 6, edge of screen bug

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Android port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

crasic

Kings Quest 6, edge of screen bug

Post by crasic »

When playing kings quest 6 (the dos cd versin) on the android port of scummvm there appears to be a slight bug when the transition between two zones/screens is very close to the edge of the screen and you have direct touch enabled.

So for instance, on the first island by the castle with the two guards (north twice from the game starting area) you have to click right on the edge of the screen to go between two areas (south and east in this case), however no matter how you touch the screen with the direct touch enabled (midi/adlib mixed setting checked) its impossible to get the interpreter to recognize it as an edge click, however with the standard mouse mode yo can just scroll to the very edge of the screen and everything works as expected.

Also, a little offtopic, but I'd rather not start a second thread about this. Is there any information on the status of SCI 2.1, specifically for playing Kings Quest 7? I saw some comments on the dev-list about it being playable (on the pc at least) and this was sometime last year, but not too much since. If I try to play it on my android phone it gives me a "Error running game: Game data not found" window
md5
ScummVM Developer

Re: Kings Quest 6, edge of screen bug

Post by md5 »

crasic wrote:When playing kings quest 6 (the dos cd versin) on the android port of scummvm there appears to be a slight bug when the transition between two zones/screens is very close to the edge of the screen and you have direct touch enabled.

So for instance, on the first island by the castle with the two guards (north twice from the game starting area) you have to click right on the edge of the screen to go between two areas (south and east in this case), however no matter how you touch the screen with the direct touch enabled (midi/adlib mixed setting checked) its impossible to get the interpreter to recognize it as an edge click, however with the standard mouse mode yo can just scroll to the very edge of the screen and everything works as expected.

Yes, the area exit hotspots in KQ6 are too close to the edges of the screen. These are handled by scripts, and there's not much that can be done about it - we would need to patch all of the game scripts for this to work properly.
crasic wrote: Also, a little offtopic, but I'd rather not start a second thread about this. Is there any information on the status of SCI 2.1, specifically for playing Kings Quest 7? I saw some comments on the dev-list about it being playable (on the pc at least) and this was sometime last year, but not too much since. If I try to play it on my android phone it gives me a "Error running game: Game data not found" window
Status is the same: SCI2 and SCI21 are playable with loads of bugs, some SCI3 games are partly playable, some completely unplayable (like RAMA and Lighthouse, which won't even start). You won't be able to play SCI2 or newer games with a stable version, as the SCI32 part of the SCI engine is not compiled in stable versions.