Sanitarium Engine - All help is welcome

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Bobbin

Post by Bobbin »

killcake wrote:I'm just chiming in to express that there is still a high amount of interest in getting Sanitarium running on ScummVM. :)
Same with me. However, there has been a huge commit in last December and even in January there was some activity. So I guess we just have to be patient - good things come to those who wait :)
maximus

Post by maximus »

Bobbin wrote:So I guess we just have to be patient - good things come to those who wait :)
Bingo :P

Sorry folks. Been focused on external contracts lately, so no major time blocks for scummvm :(

As with any open source project/initiative though, the code is there if anyone's feeling ambitious. I'd love to see this finished as much as the next person.
killcake

Post by killcake »

Thank you for the updates. :)

While I have no reverse engineering, or developmental skills, I do have money. :)

Will that help at all in completion of the Asylum engine?

If so, send a link and I'll certainly pitch in!
maximus

Post by maximus »

killcake wrote:Thank you for the updates. :)

While I have no reverse engineering, or developmental skills, I do have money. :)

Will that help at all in completion of the Asylum engine?

If so, send a link and I'll certainly pitch in!
For me at least, the incentive to work on this project isn't a monetary one; What little time I can invest I do because I love the game and want it to continue to be playable.

If you want to donate to the project, you should get in touch with sev. I'm sure there's been talk of a donation/bounty system in the past, but that's not something I could comment on ;)

It's nice to hear that there's continued demand for this engine to be completed.
killcake

Post by killcake »

Thank you, Maximus. I'll reach out to sev about the bounty. :)

I do appreciate the work you continue to put into this project, thanks again!
maximus

Post by maximus »

killcake wrote:Thank you, Maximus. I'll reach out to sev about the bounty. :)

I do appreciate the work you continue to put into this project, thanks again!
Just to clarify, I'm not suggesting a bounty on this engine would expedite development, just that I know the subject has been raised before, and contacting sev (or posting to devel) would be the proper way to continue that discussion (afaik at least).
killcake

Post by killcake »

Understood. :)

I sent him a PM so we'll see if I can contribute in some fashion.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Unfortunately the idea of a bounty program was rejected. We are all volunteers and we cannot guarantee work on this or that engine or feature. I cannot go and force some developer to abandon his job or real life. There is of course an alternative, if you, say, hire some developer at a full salary, but I am sure that is not any close to a viable solution.

If you want to support the project in a general sense, there are donation button on our main page, the money go through PayPal. If you want to make a wire transfer, contact me off-list. You may also consider purchasing games through GOG.com, using the link on the top and we will be getting part of your payment. Of course, you may decide to buy or donate specific games or equipment to some interested developer.

The donations we get are used for providing the developers with games (we often buy them off eBay), purchasing software licenses, we have plenty, and paying hosting. Also in the past we sponsored some developers for going to GSoC mentors' summit. This goes down to several thousand dollars per year, mainly because of the license prices, and so far we had money from Google as part of the GSoC programme, but those are going down every year, as we get fewer students, so any donation is helpful.

Eugene
Mim

Post by Mim »

maximus wrote:Sorry folks. Been focused on external contracts lately, so no major time blocks for scummvm :(
And other developers? I think that several people worked on this engine. Nobody is interested to continue?
maximus

Post by maximus »

Mim wrote:
maximus wrote:Sorry folks. Been focused on external contracts lately, so no major time blocks for scummvm :(
And other developers? I think that several people worked on this engine. Nobody is interested to continue?
I can only offer my two cents as to why progress has stopped; I cannot speak for anyone else as I'm unaware of their commitments/schedules. I'm pretty sure that I can safely say that "Nobody is interested to continue" is inaccurate as "interested" and "able/available" are two different things ;)
topolinik

Post by topolinik »

Hey, I see there has been on github some kind of update: many, many commits in the last few days about asylum engine.
So, are there news about the develompent stage?
fuzzie
ScummVM Developer

Post by fuzzie »

That's misleading; there's just one commit plus a crazy rebase re-applying all of the other commits.
maximus

Post by maximus »

Just making sure the project doesn't bitrot and still compiles against master.

Fuzzie's comment about a "crazy rebase" implies there may have been a better way for me to do it :P
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

maximus wrote:Fuzzie's comment about a "crazy rebase" implies there may have been a better way for me to do it :P
Yeah, a merge.
killcake

Post by killcake »

Just stopping by to keep interest up. :)

Haven't seen an update in a while so I hope this project is still alive.