HP Touchpad & Sierra Quest games

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's WebOS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Ravicai

HP Touchpad & Sierra Quest games

Post by Ravicai »

Some issues I've noticed;
  • *It seems impossible to walk to left or right screens on SQ1VGA, SQ4, KQ5. Your character just moves to the edge of the screen and goes nowhere. I was only able to move around freely in SQ3. Switching to 'touchpad' mode got around this.
    *The timer seems really slow in SQ1 as I was able to get all the way to the Orat cave before the spider-drone dropped. Actually, this was kinda nice :-) But the screen transitions were really slow too.
    *The timer in SQ4 is too fast. It's impossible to get past the sequel police in the mall.
I will test some more and see if I find other bugs. Thanks for your hard work! I'm loving this!!!
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

The screen hotspots (e.g. the exits) are handled by game scripts, so there isn't much that can be done there. I'm not sure how the input mode would affect this.

As for the droid in SQ1: this is a timed event, and happens randomly. The original was way too fast. Perhaps you were just lucky? How was your speed slider set? Did you apply any patches to the game?

The screen transitions are pretty standard, so they should behave the same and at the same speed in all games.

The sequel police timing in SQ4 is a bug in the game scripts. We work it around a bit, so it shouldn't be that bad in ScummVM. Which room are you having problems with? The skate-o-rama rooms? If you can't evade the police, turn the game's speed slider all the way up and try again
Ravicai

Post by Ravicai »

I tried changing the speed but didn't realize you had to right click (two fingers). Finally beat the mall part and the game!

Are the timing errors directly related to the speed of the machine? I remember playing this on my 486 sx25 and having no issues but on my friends 486 dx66 and my parents p166 we had to use the speed slider and/or one of those retarding programs (slowmo). I'm fairly certain the spider droid in SQ1 is timing based and not random too.

btw, no patches or speed adjustments applied. Just ran it straight out of the box.
Ravicai

Post by Ravicai »

md5 wrote:The screen hotspots (e.g. the exits) are handled by game scripts, so there isn't much that can be done there. I'm not sure how the input mode would affect this.
It effects the game because in regular mode you can't tap the edges of the screen to get the character to move to the next room. It seems like the hotspots (exits) in many rooms are about 1 pixel wide, which seems impossible to tap on the Touchpad. However if you switch to touchpad (mouse) mode you can drag the pointer to the very edge and click, thus making the game playable. Until I figured this out I couldn't even leave the first room in SQ1VGA.

I only have an HP Touchpad, so I don't know if other webOS devices exhibit this problem.