Port progress & nightly builds

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Android port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

badenglishihave

Post by badenglishihave »

Jez_Gafys wrote:Programs loads ok on Samsung galaxy S running 2.3.3 but I am unable to add any games simple says no games found in chosen folder. Never had problems with these exact same games on my Windows mobile (6.x) or PC.
Did you install the engine apk for SCUMM?
Soriel

Simon the sorcerer 1 does not work on 3.1

Post by Soriel »

Copying the *.so files as per instructions given a few posts ago allowed ScummVM detect all the engines (including AGOS), however it cannot find a game in the StS1 directory (it was able to on 3.0.1). Day of the Tentacle did load. Any ideas why Simon the Sorcerer can't be found?
kofu

Post by kofu »

Hi,

First of all, thank you su much for this great port of ScummVM, it's such a joy to play my prefered games on my beloved A500 tablet.

I noticed the second graphic filter but I find it's a bit blurred on a 10" device.

Here is my question :wink:
Is there any hope(luck) HQ2x graphic filter will be added to this as a TEGRA2 device may do the job quite well ?

Thanks in advance for your answer,

Cheers
mintfresh

Post by mintfresh »

Just been trying out the embedded synth and it works well abeit with alot of reverb, is there a way of decreasing this?

cheers
apa-sf

Post by apa-sf »

dhewg wrote:
apa-sf wrote: When I am playing a game in scummvm and someone will call me after the call I cannot go back to the game - when I resume scummvm I only see blank screen, sometimes hear the sound playing. The same thing happens when I will press home button to go to the main menu and then back to the scummvm.
that should work, especially the latter (don't have a sim card inserted in my pad atm). hitting home and going back works fine here. anyone else seeing this problem?
Only I have this problem? Just in case - my phone is SE Xperia X8 with official Android 2.2 . I haven't been playing with scummvm for a while. Few days ago I resumed and same thing happened - during a play my friend called me and after the call no video in scummvm, had to shut it down and restart.
daniel79

some feedback on galaxy s performance

Post by daniel79 »

hi,

first of all: a big thank you for your work on this port! this is, hands down, my favorite app on my phone.

since you were asking for feedback on different devices, here's what i found on the "galaxy s i9000"...

i have tested most of the "scumm" engine games and the only problems i found are sound related.
in fact the problems only occur on newer games like "the dig" and "curse", which use digital music files.

the first problem is that the music of the games behaves like a "mono" file that's being played primarily
from the left channel (i'm using headphones), while sometimes jumping over to the right channel and
then quickly back again. this seems fairly random, though it tends to happen when something happens
in game (like at the beginning of a cutscene or animation).
in cutscene movies (like the intro of "curse") the stereo works fine but the channels are reversed
(the sound of a cannon shooting on the right side of the screen has it's sound on the left side etc.)

normal sound effects and speech during the game behave like they should (stereo works and channels
are not reversed).

that's all i found for now.

keep on truckin'!

daniel

p.s. i'm on 2.3.3 gingerbread and tested both the official scummvm android port (1.3) and the latest "nightly built".
sun-tracker

Post by sun-tracker »

Riffer wrote:Here is a hacky solution:

Use Androzip to extract the ScummVM plugin .apks to a folder on your SD card, then set the ScummVM options to point to that folder. For example; I extracted all the lib****.so files to /sdcard/scummvm/ and then set that path in the ScummVM options. It all works again now!

:D
I have been trying for about 2 hours to get ScummVM running on my Asus Transformer (Android 3.1). Here are the steps I tried:

1) Downloaded the stable build from the buildbot webpage.

2) Used Androzip to extract everything to /sdcard/Games/SCUMMvm

3) Installed scummvm.apk

4) Installed scummvm-engine-scumm.apk

5) Launched ScummVM. Checked "About", and no engines were listed.

6) Set the Plugin Path to /sdcard/Games/SCUMMvm, restarted ScummVM

7) Checked "About" again, still no engines were listed.

8) Tried uninstalling and reinstalling the scummvm-engine-scumm.apk. Still doesn't show up in "About"

9) Tried installing other engine.apk's. None of them show up in "About".

10) Deleted everything and tried all of the above with the latest dev build,too. No luck

10) etc etc etc for 2 hours

Any ideas on where I should go from here? No matter what I do, I can't get ScummVM to recognize any of the engines. Hmmm....

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom.
-Austin

**UPDATE: OK, so I erased everything and tried the non-compressed 1.3.0 .apk file from the main downloads page. Then I just took ONLY the engine files from the nightly build, pointed ScummVM to them, and everything worked. I guess if I install the application and the engine from the nightly build, they don't talk to each other (a pathing issue)?
anewhobby

Post by anewhobby »

Can soone explain how I am meant to try this nightly builds? I downloaded the pack form the buildbot page linked in the 1st post in this thread

And there is a archive file wit ha TON of diffrent.pak files..

What do I do with them?
sun-tracker wrote:**UPDATE: OK, so I erased everything and tried the non-compressed 1.3.0 .apk file from the main downloads page. Then I just took ONLY the engine files from the nightly build, pointed ScummVM to them, and everything worked. I guess if I install the application and the engine from the nightly build, they don't talk to each other (a pathing issue)?
I'm new to scumVM on droid and I am also using the eee pad transformer, but I do not understand what you are saying here... I am using the app from the front page... can you please explain what you mean above? I assume you mean you downloaded an update.. but how do you point scummvm to it.. etc etc
BobbinT

Post by BobbinT »

I just installed the developer version on my xperia play.
When it first loads up, it takes about several minutes until the main screen appears. But when I'm selecting folder that contains any playable games, it suddenly freezes.
I push the Home button and then tried to run it again. This time it gave black screen. Repeated this several times. Perhaps something needs to be done here?
anewhobby

Post by anewhobby »

anewhobby wrote:Can soone explain how I am meant to try this nightly builds?
After much pain and suffering I got this worked out! Thanks for some help from the scummvm irc channel.

1) - Uninstall your current copy of ScummVM. (Note this will loose you your save games unless you have used the save game path option to save your games to a specific folder, if you have done that after install you can point to same folder and your game files will show up)

2) Use AndroidZip to extract the engine files you wish to use. If you do not know, extract ALL of them.

This will extract a lot of data and a bunch of folders, the folder we are looking for is called "/mylib/armeabi" In here are all the engine files for the various engines that scummVM supports.

3) Run the scummvm.apak file ... this installs scummvm itself. (the GUI loader thing)

4) Run the app, go into options, select PATHS and set the PLUGIN PATH (4th button) to where you extracted the apaks and find the directory "/mylib/armeabi"

When you are doing this in the app itself you should see a mass of files named *.so in the file list if you are in the correct dir.

5) Hit OK and now set your game path as normal.. and it should now be able to recognize the game and add it to your game list so you can play it. You may need to restart the app for the paths to take effect.

WOOT!!!
Last edited by anewhobby on Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BobbinT

Post by BobbinT »

Btw, problem fixed. Scummvm suddenly ran without problem.

One thing though... How do I type on text parser games? Wish the on-screen keyboard shows up. :?
anewhobby

Post by anewhobby »

BobbinT wrote: One thing though... How do I type on text parser games? Wish the on-screen keyboard shows up. :?
Hold down the menu button until the keyboard pops up
BobbinT

Post by BobbinT »

thx. it works. :D

btw, just few thoughts here...

I have played the nds version and it was quite good. same thing with the palm ports. But for some reason, the android ports were not as good as the other ports.

Don't get me wrong, the emulation was par with the other versions. It's just that the way to handle is kinda different. For one thing, when using nds or palm version, it uses pen-like tool to precisely point the area I want to explore/click. With android, which uses heat sensor (I think), it is quite hard to accurately do pixel-hunting here. Although xperia play has gamepad button which actually helps that problem, it still feels not entirely satisfying.

What I'm saying here is that maybe this port needs other way of interaction which might be necessary so that the gaming experience can be more enjoyable.

Another thing, the text parser portion might also needs another way of improvement, or another way of interaction. For example, there's another gameboy advance AGI emulator which I forgot the name, and it needs to convert the whole game into one GBA rom file so that it can be executed directly within GBA or NDS itself. This emu has another innovative feature which is when the text parser portion activated, it opens new windows which list possible verbs that can be selected and forms our own command sentences.
Right now, I also copied the converted gba version and played it using GBC emulator for Android and it still as good as ever.

The AGI text parser on Android ports was actually quite innovative itself since it utilize some sort of pre-recognition of verbs, although it kinda takes time to understand the mechanic itself. However, it might needs another way of better interaction.

Lastly, didn't mean to offend an already great emulator. Just trivia suggextion since mobile devices kinda enjoyable these days. Still can do this with laptops for much richer experience, although having better mobile experiences will be great. :)

edit:
remembered the emulator, it's GBAGI.
phanboy_iv

Post by phanboy_iv »

Given that Android 1.6 is as of now 1.1% of the Android userbase, and is shrinking daily, I think there is hardly an issue with requiring 2.0 or higher, especially if it gets us something like multitouch.

Google "Platform Versions android" to see Google's latest stats if you don't believe me.
fuzzie
ScummVM Developer

Post by fuzzie »

phanboy_iv wrote:Given that Android 1.6 is as of now 1.1% of the Android userbase, and is shrinking daily, I think there is hardly an issue with requiring 2.0 or higher, especially if it gets us something like multitouch.

Google "Platform Versions android" to see Google's latest stats if you don't believe me.
We've included some multitouch support for a while now, as mentioned. No-one's had the time to implement anything more complicated, but 1.6 is no longer the sticking point.

On versions: As discussed, Google's platform statistics don't give a reliable view of the Android userbase. However, yes, we have almost no 1.6 users, and the ScummVM-specific stats on the market show that our Market installs (which are obviously biased towards devices that *can* access the Market, mind) have less than 3% of users on Android 2.1 or below.

(I am personally looking toward to the point where we can drop support for anything older than 2.3, but unfortunately there is a large userbase using 2.2 .. and in any case a lot of people are using broken devices which claim to be 2.3 but don't actually support all the 2.3 features, so there's not much chance of that any time soon. Sigh.)