Star Trek the next generation - A finall Unity

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Schlunzi27

Star Trek the next generation - A finall Unity

Post by Schlunzi27 »

Hello I'm 16 years old and i live in germany. And i have a promblem: my mum got before a long time ago a game called star trek a finall unity from a friend lives in Boston. She always tryed to play it because she likes star trek a lot.

Now I'm playing Monkey Island with ScummVM and i was thinking if it's possible to play it with ScummVM but i have no idea how...

I hope somebody can help me, that would be really really nice. :-) I say already thanks for everyone who trys.

And my computer is working with Windows 7.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Star Trek the next generation - A finall Unity

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Schlunzi27 wrote: Now I'm playing Monkey Island with ScummVM and i was thinking if it's possible to play it with ScummVM but i have no idea how...
The short answer is that unless a game is listed on the compatibility page, it won't run in ScummVM. This game isn't, so no.

The longer answer is that ScummVM doesn't emulate any particular computer or operating system. Instead, it's a replacement for the original game executable. This, of course, means that if a game is not supported, it's usually no where even near being supported, since each company generally developed their own adventure game engines. The good news is that sometimes they would extend and reuse the game engine for several games. The most well known examples among the games that ScummVM supports are probably LucasArts and Sierra On-Line.

Apparently, there is an in-progress game engine for Star Trek: A Final Unity, but I have no idea how far it has come. Many times, such things are one-man projects that can go on for years. Anything could happen in that period, including the developer losing interest.

So at least for now, your best bet is probably to use the DOSBox DOS emulator, and either look at their compatibility page or their forums for help. Unless, of course, you have the Macintosh version of the game, in which case I just don't know.

(By the way, this isn't really the right forum for this question. "Other Ports" refer to the device that ScummVM itself runs on, not which games can or can't be run with ScummVM. The Junkyard forum would be more appropriate.)
Last edited by eriktorbjorn on Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
monster99f150
Got a warning

Post by monster99f150 »

This game does work perfectly under DosBox. The only thing you have to do is increase the mouse speed in dosbox.conf for this game, otherwise it will take forever to move the mouse around.