Curse of Monkey Island cutscenes

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Android port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Azhrei

Curse of Monkey Island cutscenes

Post by Azhrei »

Hey guys, I have a Wopad i7 tablet (1GHz Rockchip cpu, 512MB ram, Vivante GC800 gpu) running Gingerbread, and I'm trying to get Curse of Monkey Island up and running using ScummVM. Well, it is running perfectly, but I'm getting no sound in cutscenes. When the game starts up, and the CMI logo appears, there is sound. Ditto when the selection for normal or Mega Monkey comes up. But then the intro comes on and there is no sound whatsoever.

Is there a specific sound card I should set to emulate? Adlib or Soundblaster or something like that? One other thing is that when characters are speaking, I can't get them to skip by pressing on the screen like I can either on the pc by clicking the mouse or on the Wii by pressing the A button - the game just goes at it's own pace, which is too slow for me.

Any suggestions, guys?
fuzzie
ScummVM Developer

Re: Curse of Monkey Island cutscenes

Post by fuzzie »

Azhrei wrote:Hey guys, I have a Wopad i7 tablet (1GHz Rockchip cpu, 512MB ram, Vivante GC800 gpu) running Gingerbread, and I'm trying to get Curse of Monkey Island up and running using ScummVM. Well, it is running perfectly, but I'm getting no sound in cutscenes. When the game starts up, and the CMI logo appears, there is sound. Ditto when the selection for normal or Mega Monkey comes up. But then the intro comes on and there is no sound whatsoever.

Any suggestions, guys?
This is an obvious question but - do you have all of the volume levels set high enough to hear?

I can't think of anything else it would be. Do you get the sound of the knife being thrown when you select the difficulty level?
Azhrei

Post by Azhrei »

I do get sounds before the cutscene intro - the knife being thrown to select normal or Mega Monkey, for example. It disappears completely during the cut scene, then returns when the game starts, including the level card. Everything progresses normally from there, there's just no sound in the cut scene.

All sound levels are set to high.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Are they the original cutscene files from your CDs, or did you compress them? (I'm asking because compressing them introduces a couple of additional possible problems.)
Azhrei

Post by Azhrei »

They were indeed compressed, is there anything I can do short of bringing the original files from the cd's?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Azhrei wrote:They were indeed compressed, is there anything I can do short of bringing the original files from the cd's?
I'm not sure, I don't have an Android phone myself. If memory serves me, compressing the cutscene files extracts the sound to a separate file, so afterwards you'd have two files for each cutscene instead of one. (Unless the scene doesn't have sound to begin with, I guess, but I don't remember if there are any like that.) Forgetting the sound file was one of the possible problems I was thinking of.

The other possible problem would be if the Android port doesn't support compressed sound, but as I said I wouldn't know about that.