Touchpad Input

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Android port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

xtertristl

Touchpad Input

Post by xtertristl »

Hello I've just rediscovered Scumm and noticed there is a version (1.3.0) of it for my Android Tablet (Galaxy Tab 10.1) So I loaded up my old favorite "The Dig" to remissness and I soon get to the point where you need to activate the light bridge and find there is no way to do a click and hold input. I of course spend some time researching how to do it and have tried several. Tap, Tap+Hold doesn't work because when you lift your finger from the 1st tap it initiates a click. I've tried the Tap with two fingers and hold which either triggers the right mouse click if my fingers are not in sync or does nothing.

Ok I decide to move on and I get to the turtle puzzle and I can't seem to get the right click to work without dropping the pieces.

Ok so I figured the keybindings aren't setup correctly I'll just change them in the option menu... ok so there's no menu to change the key bindings. Alright I figure I'll set the save directory to somewhere I can access so that I can copy the save game to my computer complete the task and then move them back to my device. Ok so I've changed my save directory and Scumm forgot to move my previous saved games to the new directory... hmm ok I'll just set the save game directory back to None... can't do that.

I'm really frustrated here with all the bugs I've spotted.
1st - need a long mouse click in touchscreen only environment.
2nd - no way to change the keybindings in the menu.
3rd - when you move the save game directory to a new it should move the save files too.

Well that's my rant as for suggested feature why not include a HUD with programmable buttons in the menu so that we can do what we need to do for each game.
fuzzie
ScummVM Developer

Re: Touchpad Input

Post by fuzzie »

xtertristl wrote:I loaded up my old favorite "The Dig" to remissness and I soon get to the point where you need to activate the light bridge and find there is no way to do a click and hold input.
1.3.0 is a pretty old version - there's a reason it's under 'unsupported' on our downloads page. Install the one on the Market or a daily build. All recent builds put saved games on the SD card, to avoid the problems with Google's sandbox restrictions.

I just (in fact, I am still watching the credits right now) completed The Dig on a Galaxy Tab 8.9 (almost identical hardware), so it's definitely possible to play on the latest version. Double tap *very quickly* and then hold down the second tap for the lightbridges. It usually takes a few attempts to get right. Hold down one finger and tap another to rotate the tortoise pieces.

(We're working on per-game keybindings and some improved touchscreen controls. See also the unofficial SDL version at http://anddev.at.ua/load/scummvm_svn55436/1-1-0-7 which is definitely unsupported by us, and is very buggy for me, but has more configurable controls.)
xtertristl

Post by xtertristl »

Hmm then maybe you could post a supported version on your main page I've just gone back to look at your DL's available and the 1.3.0 is the most upto date version for android on your website. Daily's are great if your wanting to test software but I don't want to have to deal with the potential bugs that may pop up in a daily.

I'll have a look in market but I if your not offering more than 1.3.0 here I don't understand why you would have a more recent version there.
fuzzie
ScummVM Developer

Post by fuzzie »

xtertristl wrote:Daily's are great if your wanting to test software but I don't want to have to deal with the potential bugs that may pop up in a daily.
There's no supported ScummVM release for Android available. All builds are marked as either 'unsupported' (like 1.3.0) or 'experimental' (like the daily builds, or the pre-release on the Market), and if you don't want to have to deal with bugs then you probably should wait until there's a supported release.