F5, saving, and the 1.4.0 devbuild

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's iPhone port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Dd_8630

F5, saving, and the 1.4.0 devbuild

Post by Dd_8630 »

Hey everyone. I heard about this program when I saw someone playing Lands of Lore - Throne of Chaos, and instantly worked on getting it on my iPad. I dug out my old CD and have got it working, including the smooth sounds of Patrick Stewert. Kudos to the developers!

The problem I'm having is saving the game - until I can do that, there's not much point starting to play. Using the in-game menu, I can try to save, but no file is actually created that I can see.

Some people have mentioned accessing the main menu using F5, which on the iPhone (and, presumably, iPad) is accessed by holding down one finger and swiping down with a second finger. This may or may not let me save, but when I do that gesture, absolutely nothing happens. I can't seem to access the menu when playing a game. Is this common to the iPad, the 1.4.0 dev build, Lands of Lore, or what?

Another problem I have is that ScummVM doesn't save game settings, so each time I have to find the game's folder etc, which is a bit of a pain.

So, I've set up folder permissions so everything can be written (777, mobile owner, etc), and everything works, except a) F5 menu gesture, and b) in-game save function, and c) remembering games.

Can anyone help? Again, awesome app, just a few problems.
Dd_8630

Post by Dd_8630 »

No one?

:(
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Hi there :)

Port-specific questions are usually answered by the respective port maintainer. But in this case... have you set the save path properly inside the ScummVM options menu?
Dd_8630

Post by Dd_8630 »

Yep. The game is in private/var/mobile/ScummVM/Lands of Lore - Throne of Chaos/DATA, and I've tried both leaving the save path to 'default' (which should make the game save in DATA, I think), and to mobile/ScummVM/Saves. In both cases, I go to the in-game menu, save the game, and then go back to the in-game load menu - to see "There are no save games to load." :(

If I could go back to the main ScummVM menu, maybe I could save the game then. But there's the whole 'can't use the F5 gesture' problem too :p
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Post by tsoliman »

What about other games, is this specific to LoL?

(I am not a maintainer of the iphone port)
Dd_8630

Post by Dd_8630 »

I tried Sam & Max Hit the Road, and it works wonderfully - and I can even use the F5 gesture!

Sadly, saving the game (specifically, choosing state '1', calling it DD1, and tapping 'save') says "Failed to save to state blahblah".

So, maybe the problem is more about making save files than anything else.

Is there any way to double-check that the particular folder (mobile/ScummVM/Sam and Max Hit the Road, or mobile/ScummVM/Saves) have been set up so as to allow ScummVM to make saves? I think] I've done it right, but you never know.

EDIT: I went to another part of the forum and found these command lines to try:
chown mobile -R /var/mobile/Library/ScummVM
chmod 777 /var/mobile/Library/ScummVM
chmod 777 /var/mobile/Library/ScummVM/Preferences

To no success :(

EDIT2: Interestingly, when I tap 'options' and go to 'paths' and choose 'mobile/ScummVM/Save' as the save path, it says "The chosen directory cannot be written to. Please select another one." This doesn't appear when I choose a save path when first loading up the game. All the permissions are set, so why would this be coming up?
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Post by tsoliman »

This advice is based on general unix knowledge so it may not help.

chmod 777 more or less means allow this directory to be read/written/entered by everyone.

I am assuming you tried to chmod 777 the save directory?
chmod 777 /var/mobile/Library/ScummVM/Save

I am assuming parent directories are also set to be "entered" by everyone.

chmod ugo+x /var
chmod ugo+x /var/mobile
chmod ugo+x /var/mobile/Library
chmod ugo+x /var/mobile/Library/ScummVM
chmod ugo+x /var/mobile/Library/ScummVM/Save

If all this doesn't help. Post the output of the following (via pastebin.com or similar):

whoami
groups
ls -lR /var/mobile/Library/ScummVM
Dd_8630

Post by Dd_8630 »

I did those three commands (if it helps, I'm using WinSP, and I typed it into the little box in the lower-left, and it brings up something that looks like the command prompt (cmd.exe)), and got this:

/private/var/mobile/ScummVM$ whoami
root
/private/var/mobile/ScummVM$ groups
wheel daemon kmem sys tty operator procview procmod staff certusers admin
/private/var/mobile/ScummVM$ ls -IR /var/mobile/ScummVM
Lands Of Lore The Throne Of Chaos (1993)(Avalon Interactive)
Lands of Lore - Throne of Chaos
Monkey 1
Monkey Island 2
Preferences
Sam and Max Hit the Road
Savegames
Saves
legend_of_kyrandia_dos

I changed the last command a bit as my ScummVM folder is in /mobile/, not /mobile/Library/.

I've also used iFile to look at the permissions, and it says everything's mobile and readable etc by everyone, and it did it all hierarchically, which I think has applied the same settings to the top ScummVM folder and all the files and folders therein.

EDIT: Whoops, I did the last command wrong... When I did it properly, I got a long list of basically every file and folder in /ScummVM/. I won't post it here (unless you really want it!), but it's all along the lines of:

-rwxrwxrwx 1 mobile mobile 122924 Sep 30 11:11 CAVE1.PAK

After the 'mobile mobile', the details change. The beginning '-rwxrwxrwx' is sometimes 'drwxrwxrwx', and the uppermost folders look like this:

/private/var/mobile/ScummVM$ ls -lR /var/mobile/ScummVM
/var/mobile/ScummVM:
total 4
drwxrwxrwx 2 mobile mobile 1190 Sep 30 11:56 Lands Of Lore The Throne Of Chaos (1993)(Avalon Interactive)
drwxrwxrwx 3 mobile mobile 102 Sep 30 11:21 Lands of Lore - Throne of Chaos
drwxrwxrwx 2 mobile mobile 374 Oct 2 16:50 Monkey 1
drwxrwxrwx 2 mobile mobile 306 Oct 8 11:52 Monkey Island 2
-rwxrwxrwx 1 mobile mobile 337 Sep 25 21:11 Preferences
drwxrwxrwx 2 mobile mobile 816 Oct 8 11:58 Sam and Max Hit the Road
drwxrwxrwx 2 mobile mobile 68 Sep 25 19:48 Savegames
drwxrwxrwx 2 mobile mobile 68 Sep 30 12:51 Saves
drwxrwxrwx 2 mobile mobile 7990 Sep 25 21:10 legend_of_kyrandia_dos

Hope that helps!
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Post by tsoliman »

ok so it looks like your problem might be a spelling mistake:
mobile/ScummVM/Save doesn't exist in mobile/ScummVM
but Savegames and Saves do exist and seem to have the correct permissions.

Post the contents of both those directories and their permissions ("ls -laR" both of them)

This time please use a website like pastebin or attach the output as a text file if it is longer than 10 lines.
tsoliman wrote:(via pastebin.com or similar)
Dd_8630

Post by Dd_8630 »

I got this:

/private/var/mobile$ ls -laR /var/mobile/ScummVM/Savegames/
/var/mobile/ScummVM/Savegames/:
total 0
drwxrwxrwx 2 mobile mobile 68 Sep 25 19:48 .
drwxrwxrwx 10 mobile mobile 374 Oct 8 12:16 ..
/private/var/mobile$ ls -laR /var/mobile/ScummVM/Saves/
/var/mobile/ScummVM/Saves/:
total 0
drwxrwxrwx 2 mobile mobile 68 Sep 30 12:51 .
drwxrwxrwx 10 mobile mobile 374 Oct 8 12:16 ..

Hope it helps.
Dd_8630

Post by Dd_8630 »

*shameless bump*

:D