Compiling with Xcode

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's iPhone port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

cheapo

Compiling with Xcode

Post by cheapo »

Hello everyone. I'm trying to compile ScummVM for iPhone using Xcode and the oficial SDK, but it doesn't seem to work.

I tried to use the latest version from SVN trunk and from Git, and in both cases the Xcode project seems to be outdated. There are a lot of references to files that don't exist anymore, and even after fixing each one it still fails with more than 100 errors in the linking stage.

Is there anyone maintaining the Xcode project? Is there a way to build ScummVM for iOS devices using the official SDK, or only with the toolchain?
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

I last updated the xcode project a week or two ago, so it should still be more or less current. When did you last update?

You have to use the Git checkout though, the SVN repository has been deprecated for a while.
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

Branch-1.3.0 in the Git repository definitely compiles in xcode, there'll likely be some issues with the master branch though.
cheapo

Post by cheapo »

Thanks, Vinterstum.

Using branch-1-3-0 I was able to build from Xcode for my iOS device. ScummVM-Simulator doesn't build, but I guess that's minor since now I can run it on my device.

As far as I can see, iTunes File Sharing is not implemented, so if my device is not jailbroken the only way to add games is manually, right?
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

Yeah you may have to add the game resources directly to the Xcode project.
naevity

Post by naevity »

Everytime I try and compile 1.3 for my iPad it fails with some missing file errors. Any thoughts?

arm-apple-darwin10-gcc-4.2.1: /Users/USERNAME/Downloads/scummvm-scummvm-2f6c330/dists/iphone/../../gui/editable.cpp: No such file or directory
arm-apple-darwin10-gcc-4.2.1: warning: '-x c++' after last input file has no effect
arm-apple-darwin10-gcc-4.2.1: no input files
Command /Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Developer/usr/bin/gcc-4.2 failed with exit code 1
cheapo

Post by cheapo »

naevity wrote:Everytime I try and compile 1.3 for my iPad it fails with some missing file errors. Any thoughts?
Hi naevity! Like Vinterstum said, instead of using the "master" branch from github, switch to the "branch-1-3-0" and it will compile successfully. Use the "ScummVM-iPhone" target and compile to device (simulator won't work).
cheapo

Post by cheapo »

Vinterstum wrote:Yeah you may have to add the game resources directly to the Xcode project.
Is there any kind of mailing list I can subscribe to follow ScummVM development and get involved to maybe contribute in the future?
Strangerke
ScummVM Developer

Post by Strangerke »

Yes, there are even several mailing lists.
I suggest -devel, in your case.

http://sourceforge.net/mail/?group_id=37116

Best regards,
Strangerke
naevity

Post by naevity »

cheapo wrote:
naevity wrote:Everytime I try and compile 1.3 for my iPad it fails with some missing file errors. Any thoughts?
Hi naevity! Like Vinterstum said, instead of using the "master" branch from github, switch to the "branch-1-3-0" and it will compile successfully. Use the "ScummVM-iPhone" target and compile to device (simulator won't work).
I swear I did that, a few times :). I'll give it another shot, but this is what I did from memory:

Visit here : https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm
Download 1.3.0 package: https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm/zipball/v1.3.0

I thought i used the scummvmiphone target against iOS device too, but maybe I messed something up.
cheapo

Post by cheapo »

naevity wrote:I swear I did that, a few times :). I'll give it another shot, but this is what I did from memory:

Visit here : https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm
Download 1.3.0 package: https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm/zipball/v1.3.0

I thought i used the scummvmiphone target against iOS device too, but maybe I messed something up.
Go to GitHub, click on "Switch Branches" (under "Source") and then select "branch-1-3-0". After that click on Downloads (on the right) and "Download .zip". It will give you all the source files from said branch.

Don't forget to add the few files mentioned in the second step of the Official SDK "chapter" in this article.
naevity

Post by naevity »

just wanted to pop in and say i finally got it to work! i had to go an edit the scheme to point to my actual device instead of the generic iOS device. But I'm currently playing Curse of Monkey Island on my unjailbroken iPad2!
tripod

Post by tripod »

i got scumm running on ios5, also on a unjailbroken device :-)
what's the easiest way to upload games? include them in the app?
how can i press 'F6' ?