Updated WebOS port with new features. Now Touchpad-friendly!

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's WebOS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

TomFrost

Post by TomFrost »

Bubonic wrote:in kq6, on the crown castle entrance screen with the two guards, try following the path to the left.
I had no issues there using touchpad mode on the current build... Is there anywhere else you're seeing it?

Edit: I haven't had a chance to test it with this off yet, but note that I keep aspect ratio correction turned on so games fill the screen. Not sure if that might have an impact.
glottis

Post by glottis »

Thanks so much for all the hard work, this port is great...

Just wondering if anyone who has Curse of Monkey Island noticed whether the cursor can reach the bottom inch of the screen.

For me the game displays on the entire screen but the cursor only goes as far down as about an inch from the bottom. It reaches all other edges except the bottom. I've tried playing with the graphics option as well as aspect ratio correction with the same issue.

Has anyone else noticed this, or have any ideas to adjust the settings?
TomFrost

Post by TomFrost »

What device are you on, and do you have aspect ratio correction on?
glottis

Post by glottis »

i did have it checked, but after your message, i ran the program again (made sure it was still on), and then, of course, it started working.

i'm running it on a touchpad. guess i had to restart scummvm a couple times to get it going.

thanks.
TomFrost

Post by TomFrost »

Well, that's very strange xD. I'll keep my eye out for anything that could cause that, though!
Strell

Post by Strell »

Registered at this forum just to express my sincere gratitude at all the work you've don, TomFrost, on the Touchpad version of ScummVM. I'm playing Day of the Tentacle without issue and am just amazed at how well it's running. Thank you for all the work you've done.

I don't know if this is even an option, but I'll ask anyway (and I apologize if it has been discussed in this thread previously), but is there an way to have a double tap replicate a right click? I see that there's the option for dragging, which is useful for certain games. DoTT, however, would benefit from a double-tap-as-right-click, since that can do a lot of "default" commands (open doors, for example).

If I skipped over how to enable this, or if it is not possible, then that's perfectly fine. I really can't complain about this version, because it really is exceptional. Thank you so much and good luck in the future!
TomFrost

Post by TomFrost »

Hi Strell, thanks for the kind words!

There's no way to make double-tap trigger a right-click, for a very important reason: the first tap would trigger a left-click, which would perform some action before the right-click registered. Eep!

The second-finger tap is more versatile than most people assume, though, because at no point do you ever have to lift your first finger. Whether you're in touchpad mode or not, you can use your finger to move the mouse pointer to where you need it, tap a second finger on the screen once to right-click, and keep moving that first finger to your next target. The Indiana Jones games and FOTAQ are more good examples of games where you right-click more than left click, and they're pretty comfortable with that structure as well.

If you're finding the secondary tap cumbersome, though, let me know and we'll try to figure out why/how to improve it :)
gzsfrk

Post by gzsfrk »

Has anyone else encountered the issue in some higher-res games (like the later Humongous Entertainment titles such as "Putt-Putt Goes to the Zoo" where you can't move the cursor down to the bottom of the screen? This breaks some of the games (such as the aforementioned "Putt-Putt" title, because there are inventory items and/or other needed actions (honk the horn) that you can't do unless you can move the cursor to the very bottom of the screen.

That being said, major kudos to everyone who worked on this port. It's nothing short of amazing, and has made my 2 daughters fight over the TouchPad constantly. :)

EDIT: Sorry--just noticed that others have had a similar problem. I'll try some of the recommended steps and report back if I'm still having issues.
MadBit

Post by MadBit »

I just wanted to say thanks for all the work put into this port. I'm having some issues with this latest release. All the games I've tried seems like the cursor is bound by an invisible wall and cannot fully click on all areas of the scrren. This notably apparent on any of the living books titles. I've also started up a couple of lucasarts games and I can only get half way down the menu. I didn't have any of these issues with the build from September 25. Is there access to any prior builds by any chance?

thanks again for all the work.

Oh yeah, using an HP touchpad 32gb.

SORRY: After reading more deleting scummvmrc did the trick
mayor55

Post by mayor55 »

got new touchpad and wondering how to get keyboard to come up at will. Please be gentle...I'm new at this :roll:
found this discussion when searching for a solution.
I think I understand that scummvm is an "environment" in which some other apps (games) operate. Do I have that right?
can I somehow use it to accomplish my goal of bringing up the keyboard at will?
I have an online application that needs the keyboard, but the browser doesn't recognize the need and doesn't present the kb when I want.

suggestions or can you point me in the right direction for a solution?

Thanks for your help!
mrbell321

Post by mrbell321 »

A couple things:
ScummVM is generally a gaming platform and more specifically, it is normally used for old adventure games from Sierra. Some new development does happen, but I have a feeling this isn't what you are looking for.
As a user, in scummvm, you can trigger the keyboard to appear by swiping up on the screen with two fingers.
However, it sounds like you want the program to automatically bring up the keyboard. I'm actually not sure how, but I know it can be done.
If you are writing an application, check out the Enyo documentation at http://developer.palm.com
If you want just a web page, I am fairly certain, you can trigger the keyboard too. Probably check the above link for that as well...
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

mrbell321 wrote:A couple things:
ScummVM is generally a gaming platform and more specifically, it is normally used for old adventure games from Sierra.
I guess you mean LEC instead of Sierra though.
mrbell321

Post by mrbell321 »

Er yeah... somehow I remember typing "LucasArts and Sierra"... Mostly I've been playing the Sierra *Quest games so I probably edited part of that out...
leira

Post by leira »

I'm using this version of scummVM on TP 3.0.4, trying to play discworld 2 DOS CD version, game loaded, until showed two button "New Game" and "Option" in the bottom of the screen. Then I found I couldn't move the cursor to the buttons, no matter in "Touchpad mode" or not, it seems the controllable screen is smaller than the display screen, the lowest edge is just right above the top of the two buttons, make them not able to be clicked.

I didn't try other platform, but I did some search on youtube, it seems discworld 2 is playable on other platform, at least PC seems working. So I guess it might be a Touchpad related issue.

TomFrost wrote:I enabled the Mohawk games. Riven appears to be playing great, but my copy of the Myst Masterpiece Edition for Windows has audio without video. Again, this is an unsupported game so I'm not sure what it's normally capable of, but either this is incomplete or there's a library I'm missing. I haven't tried waiting past the Myst dialog to get further ingame, though. Either way, Riven works :).

New link: http://www.seriouslyslick.com/scummvm/c ... mohawk.ipk
TomFrost

Post by TomFrost »

Hi leira, your issue can be solved (as noted a few posts above yours) by connecting the TouchPad to your computer via USB, then deleting the ScummVM/scummvmrc file. You have some old settings in there limiting the controllable space :)