ScummVM logo Forum Index - ScummVM website - Contact us - Buy Supported Games: GOG.com Rules - Search - Register - Login curved edge
Folder Forum Index > WebOS Port > Anyone have issues setting up the dev environment?
Anyone have issues setting up the dev environment?
  Author    Thread Reply to topic
TomFrost

Anyone have issues setting up the dev environment? 

I'm going a bit crazy, here. I've forked ScummVM to play a bit with alternative controls and graphics tweaks to more fully support the HP Touchpad, but I'm getting hung up on dependencies. Specifically, flac. Flac hasn't had an update in quite awhile, so I'm afraid the newer versions of arm-none-linux-gnueabi-gcc aren't treating it well. On a mac (arm gcc 4.3.3), compiling flac throws me:

code:
encode.c: In function ‘flac__encode_aif’:
encode.c:607: internal compiler error: Bus error: 10

On Ubuntu (well, Lubuntu, but same thing-- arm gcc 4.3.3 again), nearly the same result:
code:
encode.c: In function ‘flac__encode_aif’:
encode.c:607: internal compiler error: Segmentation fault

For the curious, line 607 is the closing bracket of the function listed.

Has anyone here successfully set up their webOS development environment for ScummVM? If so, how did Flac go for you and what version of the arm gcc did you use?

Edit: It probably goes without saying, but I'm following the instructions here: http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Compiling_ScummVM/WebOS
Post Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:55 am 
md5
ScummVM Developer

I'm not sure about the compatibility of FLAC on WebOS... have you tried disabling it? Or do you need it?

Post Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:56 am 
TomFrost

I never went the route of trying to disable it, since it's listed as required on the compile guide. I figured that would definitely break Smile. I can give it a shot, but since it's on the compile guide I can't help but think someone must have had some luck with it. There are a handful of sound libraries that the webOS port doesn't use (but ScummVM itself normally does), so the idea of paring that list down any more is a bit frightening. I don't want to improve controls at the expense of losing compatibility Smile.

Post Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:37 am 
md5
ScummVM Developer

Well, disabling FLAC support isn't as bad as you might think Smile

You just do:

code:
./configure --disable-flac

and
code:
make

Post Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:17 pm 
TomFrost

Ha, not bad at all Wink. Do you fine gentlemen keep an index of what engines/game versions depend on what sound libraries? I'm cool with going that route as long as it doesn't kill off too many games.

Post Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:54 pm 
md5
ScummVM Developer

The sound libraries are all optional. Mostly, you need them if you have compressed audio game files using the ScummVM tools to save space. Some engines do require the MP3 and OGG libraries (e.g. sword25's audio is encoded in OGG and some the sound in some mohawk games is encoded in MP2). However, there is no game that I know of that came originally with FLAC audio, and there actually are some ports where FLAC doesn't compile out of the box (the WinCE port comes to mind, for example).

So, to sum up: FLAC is not required in any game, unless you have compressed audio files in FLAC format using the ScummVM tools (as it is the only lossless sound compression scheme supported in ScummVM).

Post Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:11 pm 
TomFrost

Well excellent, then! Thanks, md5 Smile

My compile broke on the libtucker plugin with

code:
install: illegal option -- t

but I'm sure it's nothing library-related. I'm going to switch over to Linux and hopefully I can get these gestures to stop triggering unintentionally Smile

Thanks for your help!
Post Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:51 pm 
md5
ScummVM Developer

That error is not related to FLAC, but it looks odd... Which gcc version are you using?

Post Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:35 pm 
TomFrost

Moving to Linux fixed it. My Mac's gcc was version 4.2.1, arm gcc was 4.3.3. No worries Smile. My compiled version didn't feel like launching in the emulator, but I'll grapple with that when I get home later. It seems like the big hurdles are covered, though!

Post Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:03 pm 
Reply to topic